Margaret Kan is a Real Estate Paralegal in the Calgary office of Miller Thomson LLP. Margaret has developed an excellent reputation during more than 10 years working in all aspects of commercial real estate and real estate development. Margaret is also involved with the Financial Services and Business practice areas as they involve real estate. Margaret has an extensive knowledge of land titles and the many different types of business structures that arise in real estate development. She is detail-oriented, organized, resourceful, and an excellent problem solver.
Her experience includes assisting with:
• taking a leadership role in a title review for the Prairie provinces that was required for the creation of a REIT for a major Canadian retailer
• the acquisition of land and construction financing required for the development of several subdivisions and shopping centres in Calgary
• project financings and the setup of condominium corporations for multiple condominium developers
• the preparation and completion of all registrations and closing of an 18-storey residential condominium tower
• the development and sale of several residential subdivisions west of Calgary
• the construction financing of a $200 million enclosed shopping centre in the greater Calgary area
• a loan transaction of over $20 million for one of the big-five banks for the developer of an industrial subdivision
• several financings with substantial interprovincial components
• the acquisition of a business in several provinces by a US property management client and the purchase and sale of several medium-sized business
• the preparation and registration of caveats for leases by major retailers
Margaret previously worked as a paralegal for 10 years at a respected regional firm. Margaret became the main commercial paralegal at this firm and gained substantial experience in residential conveyancing and condominium projects. Prior to commencing her work as a paralegal, Margaret worked as the executive assistant to the chairman for a publicly traded real estate development company in Hong Kong.
Bar admissions & education
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic/Hong Kong Management Association, Diploma in Management Studies, 1996