JD D’Souza is a member of Miller Thomson’s business law group and is focused on building a broad business law practice covering mergers and acquisitions, corporate, and securities law. JD understands that the requirements of every business are different and is focused on providing his clients with tailored and cost efficient solutions to meet their specific needs.
JD has assisted clients with M&A transactions, debt and equity financings, lending agreements, corporate governance matters and provided advice on complex securities issues.
Prior to his career in law, JD spent over 8 years in the real estate and property management industry with a focus on condominium management. JD is registered as a Real Estate Broker in Alberta and continues to be actively involved in providing solutions to the complex problems that condominium corporations in Calgary currently face.
JD also worked as a business analyst at a leading fully integrated oil and gas company in Calgary. His time spent there gave him first hand insight into the industry as well as the business community in Calgary. He continues to put that experience and insight to use in advising his clients on their legal issues.
Professional achievements & leadership
- John McLaren Scholarship, 2018
- Burnet, Duckworth & Palmer Bursary, 2017
- James Ferguson, Q.C. Memorial Bursary, 2017
- University of Calgary Dean’s List, 2016-2017
- Scott Venturo LLP Recognition of Excellence Entrance Scholarship, 2016
- Canadian Petroleum Tax Society Scholarship, 2015
- University of Lethbridge Dean’s List 2014-2016
- Louise McKinney Scholarship, 2014, 2015
- Co-author, “Important clauses in construction contracts in light of COVID-19”, April 2020
- Calgary Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Alberta
Bar admissions & education
- Alberta Bar, 2020
- Juris Doctor, University of Calgary, 2019
- Studied finance and accounting at the University of Lethbridge 2012-2016