John-David (JD) D’Souza is an active member of Miller Thomson’s business law group with a broad business law practice covering securities law, mergers and acquisitions, and corporate law. JD understands that the requirements of every business are different and is focused on providing his clients with tailored and cost efficient solutions to meet their specific needs.
JD’s practice includes a specific focus in the following areas:
Securities and Corporate Law:
JD has provided advice on complex securities issues, including advising clients on public and private brokered and non-brokered securities offerings, fund formations, plans of arrangement, mergers and acquisitions, debt financings, lending agreements, corporate governance matters as well as advising public companies on regulatory and exchange matters.
Fintech and Blockchain:
JD also has significate experience working with clients in the emerging crypto-currency and block-chain space, including providing advice on the regulation of virtual currency dealers and crypto asset trading platforms, tokenized business models, initial token offerings, the creation and sales of NFTs, deployment of blockchain technology, establishment of decentralized autotomized organizations (DAOs), governance of emerging crypto-currencies, and crypto-currency trading and investing.
Professional achievements & leadership
- John McLaren Scholarship, 2018
- Burnet, Duckworth & Palmer Bursary, 2017
- James Ferguson, Q.C. Memorial Bursary, 2017
- University of Calgary Dean’s List, 2016-2017
- Scott Venturo LLP Recognition of Excellence Entrance Scholarship, 2016
- Canadian Petroleum Tax Society Scholarship, 2015
- University of Lethbridge Dean’s List 2014-2016
- Louise McKinney Scholarship, 2014, 2015
- Co-author, “Important clauses in construction contracts in light of COVID-19”, April 2020
- Calgary Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Alberta
Bar admissions & education
- Alberta Bar, 2020
- Bachelor of Management, Finance, University of Lethbridge, 2020
- Juris Doctor, University of Calgary, 2019
- Studied finance and accounting at the University of Lethbridge 2012-2016