Glen Lekach is a well-regarded corporate and commercial lawyer with decades of experience in mergers and acquisitions, securities, real estate, commercial contracts, business structures, and secured lending. He has frequently been recognized by directories and third-party surveys for his expertise and client service. Glen acts as counsel to a diverse group of businesses across several industries, and he has been involved in many significant business transactions in Saskatchewan.
Glen provides pragmatic advice and counsel in a number of areas:
Mergers and acquisitions: Glen has been involved extensively in all manner of merger and acquisition transactions, including negotiation and preparation of agreements for share purchases, asset purchases, joint ventures, and limited partnerships, and related ancillary agreements regarding unanimous shareholders, owners, transition services, confidentiality, non-competition, indemnity, and supply.
Securities law: Glen has been involved in the negotiation and preparation of prospectuses and offering memorandums as well as ancillary documents used to raise capital; in advising on continuous reporting obligations for reporting issuers; and in providing eligibility opinions for the sale of securities for both prospectus offerings and private placement transactions.
Business structures: Glen has been extensively involved in developing structures and negotiating agreements for business enterprises (including tax-driven structures) using proprietorships, partnerships, limited partnerships, joint ventures, and corporations (both domestic and foreign).
Commercial contracts: Glen has extensive experience in the negotiation and preparation of licensing agreements, distribution agreements, production agreements, dealer agreements, supply and service agreements, franchise agreements, employment agreements, consulting agreements, independent contractor agreements, confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements, non-competition agreements and all manners of other commercial contracts.
Real estate: Glen has expertise in commercial real estate purchase and sale, development, and lease transactions, including negotiation and preparation of offers to purchase, agreements of purchase and sale, lease agreements, rental agreements, facility license agreements, development agreements, subdivisions, planning approvals, and environmental investigations.
Secured transactions: Glen has been involved in many commercial financing transactions, including negotiation and preparation of loan agreements and all manner of security and ancillary agreements and documents.
Glen regularly publishes papers for or lectures to lawyers and articling students on various topics for the Law Society of Saskatchewan’s continuing education CPLED programs.
Glen is a member of his church’s provincial finance council and is also the president of a senior citizens’ housing complex and development in Regina.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers in Canada – Mergers & Acquisitions Law, 2018
- The Best Lawyers in Canada, Corporate Law; Franchise Law; Mergers & Acquisitions Law; Securities Law, 2013 – 2019
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Corporate Commercial Law, 2015 – 2018
- Martindale-Hubbell BV rated (multiple years)
- Recipient of the Saskatchewan Legal Education Society Inc. Volunteer Award, (2006)
- Recipient of Commemorative Medal for the Centennial of Saskatchewan, 2005
- Recipient of Queen’s Jubilee Medal, 2002
- Tax-planned corporate restructurings or reorganizations or intergenerational transfers for or of numerous manufacturing, processing, farming, and other commercial enterprises.
- Establishment of a limited partnership for a large oilseed crushing and processing business in Canada.
- Establishment of a livestock marketing joint venture operating in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta.
- Establishment of numerous limited partnerships, joint ventures, and corporations for use in the retail, livestock, agricultural processing, and manufacturing industries in western Canada.
- Reorganization of a leading oat processor in Canada from a corporation into a limited partnership.
- Amalgamations, reorganizations, and corporate restructurings of publicly traded and privately held corporations.
Mergers and Acquisitions:
- Acquisition of a large transformer manufacturer in Manitoba.
- Divestiture of a large heavy equipment dealership in Saskatchewan.
- Acquisition of a weeping tile accessory manufacturer in Ontario.
- Acquisition of a large transformer manufacturer in Saskatchewan.
- Divestiture of a national donut chain business on behalf of a franchisor.
- Acquisitions and divestitures by numerous agri-businesses involved in the handling, sale, processing, or manufacturing of grain, fertilizers, farm supplies, fuel, livestock, feed, or food in Canada and abroad.
- Sale of a significant interest in a major cattle feedlot and ethanol manufacturer in Saskatchewan.
- Merger of the swine genetics business of a European hog genetics company with a Canadian hog genetics company.
- Sale of assets of a short-line railway in southwestern Saskatchewan.
- Purchase of a large tract of industrial lands for development of a major transportation hub in Saskatchewan.
- Sale or purchases of numerous other businesses in Saskatchewan and other parts of Canada operating in the accounting, financial, engineering, motor vehicle, farm implements, manufacturing, computer, insurance, forestry, gravel, sign, farm, retail, and other sectors.
- Prospectus share offerings for a large publicly traded agri-business corporation for $153 million in common shares, $300 million in medium term notes, and $100 million in common shares.
- Prospectus limited partnership offerings to establish six farrow-to-finish hog businesses in Saskatchewan ($6 million each).
- Prospectus share offering to establish a cattle feed lot in Saskatchewan ($2 million).
- Offering memorandum for a sale of shares to establish a grain screenings pelleting plant in Saskatchewan ($1 million).
- Takeover bid for shares of a publicly traded Saskatchewan corporation.
- Compliance for continuous reporting obligations under securities laws for publicly traded issuers in Saskatchewan and Manitoba.
- Establishment of a single-purpose labour sponsored venture capital corporation for a pork processor in Saskatchewan.
- Lecturer to Corporate Counsel in Regina on recent developments and case law related to Canada’s anti-spam legislation, 2016.
- Co-author/editor for Saskatchewan, “Chapter 2: Corporations, Partnerships, and Other Business Entities,” Business Laws of Canada, 2013 and 2014 editions, Thomson Reuters.
- Covenants Against Competition in Franchise Agreements, 3rd edition., American Bar Association, 2012.
- Lecturer and author of related materials, “Allocation of Economic Risk in Commercial Agreements,” Law Society of Saskatchewan Continuing Professional Development Program, 2012.
- Lecturer and author of materials, “Allocation of Economic Risk in Commercial Agreements,” Contract Drafting Essentials Seminar, Saskatchewan Continuing Professional Development, 2012.
- Lecturer and author of materials, “Dissolutions and Wind-ups,” Corporate Divorce and Shareholder Disputes Seminar, Saskatchewan Continuing Legal Education, 2005.
- Author, “Incorporation and Shareholders Agreement checklists,” Saskatchewan Continuing Legal Education,1996, with updates in 2000, 2006, 2011 and 2014.
- Lecturer and author of materials, “Real Estate Transactions,” Legal Opinions Seminar, Saskatchewan Continuing Legal Education, 2002.
- Author of paper, “Allocation of Economic Risk between a Purchaser and Vendor in a Transaction Involving the Purchase and Sale of Business or Shares,” Regina Bar Association, 2002.
- Lecturer and author of materials, “Due Diligence,” Buying and Selling a Business Seminar, Saskatchewan Continuing Legal Education, 2000.
- Lecturer and author of materials, “Buying and Selling a Business,” Law Society of Saskatchewan Bar Course, 1995-present.
- Finance Council, Ukrainian Catholic Church of Saskatchewan, 2005-present.
- President, St. Basil’s Senior Citizen’s Home Incorporated, 1995-present.
- President Duke of Edinburgh’s Award, Young Canadians Challenge, 1998-2005.
- Canadian, Club of Regina, President, 1991.
- President of Affiliated Organizations, Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy of Saskatchewan, 1989-1992.
- Vice President, Ukrainian Catholic Parish of St. Basil the Great, President, 1985, 1986-1988.
- Director and President, St. Basil’s Senior Citizens’ Home Incorporated
- Board Member, Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy of Saskatoon Finance Council
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Regina Bar Association
- Member, Law Society of Saskatchewan
Bar admissions & education
- Saskatchewan Bar, 1982
- LL.B., University of Saskatchewan, 1981
- BSPE., University of Saskatchewan, 1978
Miller Thomson lawyers recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada 2019
In the just released 2019 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada, 144 Miller Thomson lawyers from across the country have been recognized for their expertise in 47 areas of law. This includes 6 lawyers who were awarded “Lawyer of the Year” in...
Miller Thomson recognized in 2018 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
In the recently released 2018 edition of the Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory, 90 Miller Thomson lawyers across 35 areas of law have been recognized for their industry-leading advisory expertise. These rankings are the culmination of an extensive annual peer review process...
Miller Thomson recognized in 2017 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
In the recently released 2017 edition of the Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory, 79 Miller Thomson lawyers across 30 areas of law have been recognized for their industry-leading advisory expertise. These latest rankings are the culmination of an extensive annual peer...
Lexpert recognizes 80 Miller Thomson lawyers
Miller Thomson is pleased to announce 80 lawyers across ten of our offices are recognized in the 2016 edition of The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory as leading practitioners in their field. Published annually since 1997, The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory...
Miller Thomson recognized in 2014 Best Lawyers in Canada
We are pleased to announce that 80 Miller Thomson lawyers have been recognized in the 2014 edition of Best Lawyers in Canada (this is 15 more lawyers than last year). Seventeen lawyers are new to the list. Additionally, the following lawyers from...
Sorry. Your search returned no results. Please edit your search criteria and try again.
Sorry. Your search returned no results. Please edit your search criteria and try again.
Covenants against Competition on Franchise Agreements
American Bar Association Forum on Franchising, 3rd edition
Fadi Amine and Pascale Cloutier wrote the chapter on Québec. Glen Lekach and Graham Purse wrote the chapter on Saskatchewan.
Covenants Against Competition in Franchise Agreements, 3rd Edition
American Bar Association
Incorporation and Shareholders Agreements Checklist
Originally published in 1996 with updates in 2000, 2006 and 2011.
Smart Air Chamber acquires product lines from SuperiorRoads Solutions
Counsel to Smart Air Chamber Inc.
Northern Livestock Sales acquires sales operations in Lloydminster and Prince Albert
Counsel to Northern Livestock Sales
Westcap AG acquires Rainy Day Manufacturing
Counsel to Westcap AG Corporation
Synergy Physio acquired by CBI Health Group
Counsel to the shareholders of Synergy Physio
Conexus Credit Union sells insurance subsidiary to Knight Archer Insurance
Counsel to Conexus Credit Union
Village Ford Lincoln Sales sold to Knight Automotive Group
Counsel to the vendor of Village Ford Lincoln Sales Ltd.
Christian Horizons and Menno Homes amalgamate
Counsel to Christian Horizons