Claude Picard is a seasoned business lawyer specializing in transactional, commercial, corporate, financing and intellectual property law. He regularly assists clients with mergers and acquisitions, business succession planning, corporate reorganizations and amalgamations, and financing. He is also instrumental in drafting various commercial agreements.
Claude’s clientele is composed primarily of small and medium-sized businesses, but he also advises publicly traded companies and major buying groups. As a transactional lawyer, he has participated in many major transactions involving companies in the manufacturing, distribution, franchising and trade concession industries.
With respect to financing, Claude has represented a wide range of financial institutions and venture capital firms. He has also provided advice to foreign investors and to borrowers, on both public and private placements.
Throughout his career, he has held positions on several boards of directors, as well as on the committees of various corporations.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Acts as corporate secretary of major distribution corporations (buying clubs) and participates in the board meetings, audit committee and corporate governance and human resource committee meetings of such corporations.
- Represented the Houle family, in first instance, in Houle v. National Bank of Canada; this case set a precedent in first instance, before the Court of Appeal and before the Supreme Court of Canada, as the Houle family won every suit
- Represented two major buying clubs for their IPO
- Member of the Board of Collège Charles-Lemoyne for five years
- Governor of Midget AAA Hockey League for two years
- President of Riverains du Collège Charles-Lemoyne (Midget AAA Hockey League) for two years
- Member of the board of several SMEs, foundations and not-for-profits for a number of years
- Member of the board of a public distribution company operating in Canada for five years
- Canadian Bar Association
Bar admissions & education
- Québec Bar, 1980
- Mediator, Commercial Affairs, Québec Bar, 1995
- LL.L., Université de Montréal, 1979