Andrew Etcovitch practises in the areas of corporate tax, particularly in domestic and cross-border corporate financing, corporate reorganizations, and mergers and acquisitions. Andrew also serves as Leader of Miller Thomson’s Tax Group.
Andrew also has broad experience in designing tax-efficient ownership structures for owner-managed businesses. Within the scope of his practice, Andrew has represented clients in regard to Revenu Québec and Canada Revenue Agency tax audits.
Professional achievements & leadership
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Tax Law, 2019-2023; Trusts and Estates, 2022-2023
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Estate & Personal Tax Planning, 2018-2019, 2022
- Reorganization of a substantial real estate portfolio to improve tax efficiency and flow of funds
- Advice on the acquisition of an integrated business by a multinational corporation in the energy industry
- Mnubo Inc. acquired by Aspen Technology for $102 million.
- Digital Colony’s purchase of Cogeco Peer 1 for $720 million to create Canada’s first neutral-host provider of small cells and 5G infrastructure and enterprise and wholesale fibre connectivity.
- Visa Canada Corporation, the Toronto-Dominion Bank and the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce’s financial support to Air Canada in connection with its acquisition of Aimia Canada Inc. and its Aeroplan Loyalty business at an amended purchase price of $497 million plus the assumption of $1.9 billion liabilities.
- Crombie Property Holdings Ltd.’s acquisition of seven shopping centres for $54 million.
- Riposte Games & Company’s divestiture to Kabam Games.
- Microsoft Studios acquisition of Montréal’s Compulsion Games Inc.
- Marriott International, Inc. sale of Le Centre Sheraton Montreal Hotel for $92 million.
- Dorman Products cross-border acquisition of MAS Automotive Distribution.
- Keywords Studios acquisitions in France.
- Groupe Marcelle acquisition of Lise Watier Cosmétiques.
- Transfer of a Business : How to Prepare for the Inevitable, Miller Thomson’s Business Law Conference, October 25, 2016
- Canadian Tax Foundation
Bar admissions & education
- Québec Bar, 1983
- B.C.L. and LL.B., McGill University, 1982
- B.A., McGill University, 1978