Miller Thomson’s Private Equity Group assists clients ranging from large pension funds to private equity private investor funds with a variety of services, including structuring of transactions, dealing with management equity incentive plans and structuring private equity investments for non-Canadian funds, among others. Our team of senior practitioners and veteran transactional strategists is closely integrated with our firm’s other practices to ensure that our private equity clients can benefit from related expertise that proves necessary to successfully complete their respective deals, whether that expertise is in banking, tax, antitrust, pensions and benefits, labour and employment, or insolvency, among other areas.
Our clients are representative of Canada’s private equity marketplace, from large pension funds, many of which have been active participants in the private equity space to private equity private investor funds of various sizes, most often focused on the mid-market private company. We have particular expertise in working with investment, including foreign investment, in regulated industries. Financial Institutions, Telecommunications and Broadcasting and Health Care are among the sectors our clients invest in, and we can assist in the development of structures that permit the highest permissible levels of foreign ownership.
Our experience includes:
- Acting for large pension funds: We are familiar with structuring of transactions within specific investment restrictions, both when acting for regulated entities, and when acting for their co-investors, both domestic and non-Canadian.
- Acting for private equity private investor funds: We can assist with management equity incentive plans, including in a cross-border context, as well as creating structures that, where appropriate, permit certain pre-transaction shareholders to maintain participation in the company in which interests are being sold.
- Making of subsequent add-on or “tuck-in” investments, including creating tax efficiencies in the investment group.
- Providing advice in structuring private equity investments for non-Canadian funds, in a way that minimizes taxes on profits and return of gain and capital to the ultimate investor/beneficiary.
- Acting for vendor shareholders in private equity transactions, as well as for the company being sold: With a focus on mid-market private company clients, our Group acts in a way that produces the best result for a shareholder group, often including family members with differing objectives in a sale process, including the provision of tax advice to the company to be sold and its various shareholders.
Andy Chan and Aaron Atcheson selected by Lexpert as “Lawyers to Watch”
We are pleased to announce that Andy Chan and Aaron Atcheson were recently selected as Lawyers to Watch in the Lexpert 2013 Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-border Corporate Lawyers in Canada. Both Andy and Aaron were recognized as one...
Andy Chan will be speaking on a panel at the China Business Workshop on “Attracting Chinese Investment”
The China Business Workshop offers real-life practical solutions to many of the issues that Canadian companies face when doing business in China. The focus for the panel discussion is “Attracting China Investment”. Andy is head of Miller Thomson’s national Global...
Sorry. Your search returned no results. Please edit your search criteria and try again.
RRSP Eligibility and Tax Consequences of Small Business Investment Limited Partnerships (“SBILPs”)
A New Regulatory Approach to Shareholders Rights Plans
Canadian Corporate Counsel Association Magazine
Ardenton Capital announces equity investment in Leone Group of Companies
Counsel to Ardenton Capital
Capital régional et coopératif Desjardins acquires majority stake in Norbec to maintain the company in Quebec
Counsel to Jan Lembregts, CEO of Norbec Group
Engage People secures significant investment from Lovell Minnick Partners
Counsel to Engage People, Inc.
Mill Street & Co. acquires Parliament Building Supplies
Counsel to Janeric Engineering dba Parliament Building Supplies
Syntax Systems receives strategic investment by NOVACAP
Counsel to Syntax Systems Ltd. and its principals
Felix & Paul Studios closes US$6.8 million Series A financing round
Counsel to Felix & Paul Studios and one of its existing investors Phi Group
Caisse de dépôt invests $18 million in Moment Factory
Counsel to Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec
Caisse de dépôt and Fonds de solidarité FTQ invest $80 million in Triotech
Counsel to Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec and Fonds de solidarité FTQ