( Disponible en anglais seulement )
Richard MacGregor's practice focuses on construction and commercial litigation, involving a broad range of disputes including construction liens, deficiencies, breach of contract, shareholder oppression remedies and commercial lease disputes. Given the nature of these disputes, Richard focuses on prompt and real-time legal advice for his clients and ensures his clients' interests are upheld. Richard embraces a philosophy that obtaining early and timely legal advice is paramount to resolving disputes efficiently.
Richard’s practice focuses on the following areas:
Commercial Litigation: breach of contract, breach of warranty, commercial leases, shareholder oppression remedies, professional negligence, commercial general liability claims;
Construction Litigation: construction lien actions, deficiency claims, tarion warranty claims, breach of trust actions, performance bond claims, and labour and material bond claims
Condominium Litigation: first year deficit disputes, deficiency disputes, shared facilities disputes, management negligence claims.
Richard has spoken at conferences including his recent lecture at the 24th Annual Provincial/Municipal Government Liability Conference where he spoke about his involvement in the successful defence of a complex police negligence claim in Painter v. Richardson, 2017 ONSC 5603.
Prior to joining Miller Thomson LLP, Richard practiced at a full service law firm in Hamilton, Ontario wherein he had a practice focused on construction and commercial litigation and where he represented businesses, developers, builders and contractors throughout the GTA.
Richard is a long standing supporter of CARE Canada, and has been an active Umpire in minor baseball leagues throughout southwestern Ontario.
- Painter v. Richardson, 2017 ONSC 5603: successful defence of a complex police negligence claim;
- Cowan v. General Filters Inc., 2017 ONCA 456: successful defence of an appeal regarding quashing of summons to witness of expert witnesses in an interlocutory proceeding;
- McCleod v. Canadian Road Management Company, 2018 ONSC 2186: successful defence of a motion to strike jury notice prior to trial;
- Successfully argued and obtained an interlocutory injunction in a complex commercial lease dispute;
- Successfully pursued a breach of trust and breach of contract construction dispute involving the improper use of funds;
- Effectively negotiated and resolved a complex and multi-party provincial offence under the Building Code Act relating to construction without a permit;
- Successfully defended a claim for patent/latent defects relating to the purchase/sale of real estate;
- Successfully litigated and recovered the principal amount in a civil fraud matter on behalf of a large credit union;
- Successfully resolved a dispute arising from the purchase/sale of intellectual property;
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
Formation et admission au barreau
- Ontario Bar, 2014
- Juris Doctorate, University of Windsor, 2013