( Disponible en anglais seulement )
Lisa Spiegel is a Partner with a health law practice that includes a special interest in health advocacy. Lisa assists health industry clients on a broad range of matters, with an emphasis on medico-legal defence, professional regulatory issues, and privileging matters.
Lisa advises both public and private sector health industry clients. She also advises professionals both in the health industry and in other disciplines on professional regulation matters.
Lisa has represented clients before the Superior Court of Justice, the Divisional Court in both judicial reviews and appeals, and the Ontario Court of Appeal. She also represents clients before various administrative tribunals.
Lisa has extensive experience in health litigation, having spent more than 10 years prosecuting at the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario as Senior Counsel. While there, she conducted complex hearings relating to allegations of professional misconduct. These included sexual abuse, incompetence, and incapacity. She also routinely advised the College’s Council and its Executives, as well as its Inquiries, Complaints and Reports, and Quality Assurance Committees. She was involved in legislative and regulatory amendments to health professional legislation and has expertise in out-of-hospital premises and health policy issues.
With extensive experience in the specialized area of health law, Lisa provides clients with expert legal counsel, which is responsive, pragmatic and risk-managed.
Lisa began her career as an associate in the advocacy department of the Toronto office of Gowlings where she engaged in a broad litigation practice including commercial litigation, insurance, and defamation.
Réalisations professionnelles et leadership
- Continuing Legal Education Facilitator, Prosecutors’ Network, The Advocates’ Society
- Liberman v. College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario  O.J. No. 2717 (Div. Ct.)
- Yazdanfar v. College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario  O.J. No. 2392 (Div. Ct.)
- Gore v. College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario  O. J. No. 2833 (O.C.A.)
- Guest Instructor, Osgoode Hall Law School Intensive Trial Advocacy Workshop (ITAW)
- Coffee Talk Presentation, « Managing Complaints in the #MeToo Era », February 27, 2019
- Co-presenter, « Legal / Malpractice Trends in Perinatal Care and How the can be Mitigated », 31st Annual Perinatal Outreach Conference, September 26, 2018
- Presenter, « CPSO Effective Referral Policy: The court challenge and its implication », Medico-Legal Society of Toronto, September 12, 2018
- Coffee Talk Presentation, “What Directors Need to Know – Physicians and Other Professional Staff Issues”, November 23, 2017
- Coffee Talk Presentation, “Vicarious Liability: When is a Health Care Facility Responsible for Health Care Providers Providing Care?”, presented with Lauren Parrish, November 15, 2017
- Moderator, “Medical Marijuana: The New Regulatory Landscape in Canada” Presentation, Council on Licensure, Enforcement & Regulation Annual Educational Conference, September 15, 2017
- Coffee Talk Presentation, “What to Do When There Is a College Complaint”, March 22, 2017
- Thrive and Survive Seminar, “Optometrists’ Responsibilities for the Actions of Others,” May 30, 2016
- Coffee Talk Presentation, “Reporting and Investigations,” May 18, 2016
- « Court of Appeal Confirms that Physicians are Statute-Barred from Claiming for Damages Arising from Hospital Decision to Cease Providing a Service« , Health Communiqué, November 15, 2018
- « Court Affirms Physician Requirements to Provide Effective Referrals for MAID« , Health Communiqué, May 9, 2018
- « Stakeholder Consultation on Regulatory Changes to Expand CPSO Oversight of Fertility Services« , Health Communiqué, March 15, 2017
- « Bill 87, the Protecting Patients Act, 2016, Proposes Amendments to the Sexual Abuse Provisions in the Regulated Health Professions Act« , Health Communiqué, February 7, 2017
- « Disruptive Behaviour By Physicians: Further Perspectives on an Old Issue« , Health Communiqué, November 14, 2016
- « Minister of Health and Long-Term Care Promises Legislative Changes Relating to Sexual Abuse« , Health Communiqué, September 13, 2016
- “Anticipated Overhaul of Quality Oversight to Non-Hospital Medical Clinics,” Health Communiqué, May 13, 2016
- “What Health Industry Clients Need to Know in Relation to Bill C-14 on Medical Assistance in Dying,” Health Communiqué, April 14, 2016
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- The Advocates’ Society
- Medico-Legal Society of Toronto
- Council on Licensure, Enforcement & Regulation
Formation et admission au barreau
- Ontario Bar, 2001
- LL.B., Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, 1999
- M.Sc. (environmental studies), York University, 1999
- B.A. (political science), University of Vermont, 1994