( Disponible en anglais seulement )
Andy Chan is Managing Partner of the Vaughan and Markham oﬃces of Miller Thomson LLP. He is also chair of the International Business Transactions Group. Andy’s specialized global cross-border practice includes providing counsel to international and domestic clients on corporate law, mergers and acquisitions, investments, structurings and ﬁnancings.
Andy is a recipient of the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal for outstanding contributions to Canada. He was also named Leading Canadian Corporate Lawyer to Watch by Lexpert magazine in its Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada, and he is a past winner of the Lexpert Rising Star Award. He is recognized as a Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent ® Rated Lawyer, and is also regularly listed in The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory as a repeatedly recommended lawyer in the area of Corporate Commercial Law. More recently, Andy received the FACL Lawyer of Distinction Award for signiﬁcant accomplishments in the law and for service to the legal profession, areas of social justice and the community.
Andy was appointed by the government as one of a select number of legal experts to the Business Law Modernization and Burden Reduction Council to advise the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services, the Ministry of the Attorney General and the Ministry of Finance with respect to all aspects of corporate and commercial legislative reform, including Emergency Order O. Reg. 107/20 in relation to the COVID-19 outbreak, elimination of director residency requirements and implementing written majority shareholder governance.
Andy’s areas of focus include business law, related corporate and regulatory matters, ﬁnancial services and the provision of strategic business advice in a variety of sectors, including manufacturing, logistics, real estate development, technology, healthcare, insurance and natural resources. He has counselled public and private multinational organizations, corporate and commercial enterprises as well as individual clients in North America, Europe, and Asia conducting, analyzing or implementing their options in the global markets.
Andy is also active in the area of government relations, wherein he advises on strategic, public policy and compliance issues relating to all levels of government, including the development of business inbound structures coupled with corporate, immigration and related strategies utilizing applicable federal or provincial incentive programs.
Having extensive international experience, including at a “Magic Circle” English law ﬁrm, and then practicing for several years as a commercial litigator, Andy is able to leverage his knowledge of adversarial processes and international and domestic markets to accurately anticipate and respond to the most sensitive of circumstances. In addition, Andy’s experience before all levels of Courts in Ontario, as well as numerous federal and provincial tribunals, including the Competition Tribunal, allows him to assist clients navigate a variety of strategic challenges in harmony with their overall business objectives.
Andy is licensed to practice law in Ontario and British Columbia.
Réalisations professionnelles et leadership
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Corporate Commercial Law, ongoing
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® Rated Lawyer, ongoing
- Recognized in The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory as a repeatedly recommended lawyer across Canada in the area of Corporate Commercial Law, ongoing
- Appointment to the Business Law Modernization and Burden Reduction Council to advise the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services, the Ministry of the Attorney General and the Ministry of Finance with respect to corporate/commercial legislative reform, 2019– 2020
- FACL Lawyer of Distinction Award, 2019
- Appointed as legal expert to Business Law Advisory Council, 2016 – 2018
- Recipient of Markham Board of Trade Business Excellence Award for achievement in business and professional life, as well as contribution to the community, 2014
- Awarded ASPIRE (Achieving Social & Professional Ideals, Reaching Excellence) award in recognition of generational business leaders, 2014
- Leading Canadian Corporate Lawyer to Watch – Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada, 2013
- Lexpert Rising Star Award – Top Canadian Lawyers Under 40, 2012
- Recipient of Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal awarded for outstanding contributions to Canada in commemoration of Her Majesty’s accession to the throne, 2012
- Counsel to Royal Bank of Canada as administrative agent, RBC Capital Markets as sole lead arranger and a syndicate of lenders in connection with an initial $400 million senior revolving commitment with an additional $400 million available through an accordion feature with Tim Hortons Inc. and the TDL Group Corp. as guarantor to provide interim ﬁnancing to fund the borrower’s share buyback program
- Counsel to various international enterprises with global operations, including in relation to a $100 million investment in Canada through the acquisition, development and management of enterprises engaged in the processing, wholesale and distribution of speciﬁed primary resources
- Act for St. Joseph Print Group Inc. with respect to various corporate matters, including in relation to its strategic acquisition of personalized marketing ﬁrm, Bassett Direct, to deepen St. Joseph’s direct mail oﬀerings into its Interconnected Communication Solutions across all mediums
- Counsel to numerous foreign and local enterprises in the structuring, acquisition, development and operations of various high-end commercial and industrial properties and businesses across Canada in excess of $75 million
- Advised Meitu Investment ltd. (a wholly-owned subsidiary of Meitu, Inc.) with respect to the acquisition from Dream Beyond Holdings Limited (a wholly-owned subsidiary of Leyou Technology Holdings Limited) of a minority interest in Dreamscape Horizon Limited and its wholly-owned subsidiary, Digital Extremes US Inc.
- Engaged in the structuring, development and implementation of a complex corporate, intellectual property and immigration strategy for the establishment of a series of high- end food services businesses, which resulted in the ﬁrst Michelin-starred chef to situate in Toronto on a permanent basis
- Canadian counsel to China Maple Leaf Education Systems Limited, an international school, in relation to its Hong Kong Stock Exchange Initial Public Oﬀering of approximately US $123 million
- Canadian counsel to J.P. Morgan-led syndicate of underwriters in connection with $350 million senior convertible notes issuance by Biovail Corporation in Canada and the United States
- Business Laws of Canada, West (a Thomson Reuters business), ongoing
- Speaker, Canadian Lawyer – Young Lawyers Summit (Virtual), 2020
- Speaker, FTA Forum (JIBAC), 2016 – 2018
- Quoted, Chinese Detentions raises fears of Canadian business chill, rethink of travel plans (CBC News); Second Canadian questioned in China as Huawei fallout continues (Bloomberg News), December 13, 2018
- Opening remarks, (Toronto Blockchain Impact Summit), September 28, 2018
- Speaker, NAFTA and the Future of Trade – Impacting Your Business (Vaughan Economic Summit), September 27, 2018
- Presenter, Ontario Chamber of Commerce Investment and Trade Conference, 2016
- Co-chair, presenter and moderator of the 4th Annual CCC Dialogue, 2015
- Panel Speaker, Cross Border Legal Considerations (FACL), 2014 – 2015
- Panel Speaker, Roundtable Working Breakfast with the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration and Ontario’s Business Leaders in partnership with the Ontario Chamber of Commerce for the development and transformation of policies related to inbound investment and business immigration, 2013
- Panel Speaker, China Business Workshop for Attracting Chinese Investment (Canada Chinese Business Council), 2013
- Presenter, Business Investment and Development Unit (Ontario Ministry of Agriculture and Food), 2013
- Co-chair and Speaker, Annual Business and Securities Law and Practice Conference (Insight), 2010 – 2012
- Panel Speaker, Business in the Americas (Multilaw) in Ohio, USA, 2012
- Co-host and Speaker at the Canada-China Business Seminar in Shanghai, China, 2012
- Host and Speaker at a press conference and opening event, together with Minister of Economic Development and Innovation, Minister of Culture, Tourism and Sport and representatives from the Canadian Embassy (Beijing) with respect to a signiﬁcant investment into Ontario by a Chinese enterprise with operations in Liaoning, Jilin Province and the Dayaowan Free Trade Zone, 2012
- Presenter to the Governor of XuanWu District (Nanjing City) with respect to the considerations for Canadian Inbound Investment by Foreign Entities, 2012
- Co-presenter to the Vice-Governor of Jiangsu Province, the Deputy Consul General and their respective contingents on Canadian corporate and intellectual property law hosted by the Premier’s Oﬃce and the Ontario Oﬃce of International Relations and Protocol, 2012
- The Decision to Block the ATK/MDA Deal, Business Law in Canada: Recent Developments, 2008
- National Instrument 51-102 – Changes to Requirements of Reporting Issuers to File Material Contracts, Business Law in Canada: Recent Developments, 2008
- Cried Because I Had No Shoes – (CAEM), 2002
- Competition Law in Canada, 1999
- International Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Member, York Region Police District Community Liaison Committee, 2016 – 2018
- Founding Director, China-Canada Economic Growth Alliance, 2016 – present
- Founding Director, JIBAC, 2012 – present
- Advisory Board, Canadian General Counsel Awards, 2014 – 2015
- Director, Markham Stouﬀville Hospital, 2012 – 2014
- Past President and Director, Markham, Richmond Hill and Vaughan Chinese Business Association, 2005 – present
Formation et admission au barreau
- British Columbia Bar, 2015
- Ontario Bar, 2002
- Juris Doctor, Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, 2000
- Bachelor of Arts (Commerce), Rotman School of Business, University of Toronto, 1997