( Disponible en anglais seulement )
Stewart J. O. Berringer is a highly accomplished corporate lawyer with almost two decades of experience specializing in real estate, financing, and mergers and acquisitions. He is well regarded for his experience with the Saskatchewan Land Titles Registry and handling of complex real estate matters. Stewart takes pride in providing clients with straightforward, practical advice.
Stewart has acted for a number of large national and international companies, particularly in the agricultural business sector, with respect to the acquisition, development, and sale of real property and other assets. He also regularly provides advice regarding procurement and environmental legislation.
Stewart provides strategic practical counsel in a number of areas:
Real estate: acts as lead counsel and local counsel for both purchasers and sellers on a variety of real estate-based transactions, including the purchase and sale of large commercial farms, hotels, condominiums and commercial developments; regularly obtains subdivision approvals for commercial, residential and agricultural developments; acts for some of Canada’s largest not-for-profit conservation organizations with respect to the acquisition of conservation easements and conservation lands; understands the complex rules in Saskatchewan relating to foreign land-ownership restrictions; provides advice to landlords and tenants relating to commercial leasing; and deals regularly with planning and development issues.
Mergers and acquisitions: represents clients in a variety of asset-based acquisitions and divestitures, both by asset and share transactions or by plan of arrangement; provides local counsel advice to national and other law firms on large national or international transactions.
Financing: acts for both lenders and borrowers on a wide range of financing transactions, including large scale agricultural, commercial, and residential developments and high-rise condominiums; regularly provides local counsel opinions on PPSA and mortgage registrations.
Stewart has been a lawyer at Miller Thomson since graduating law school. Stewart is active in his community and loves watching and participating in a number of sports, particularly golf, hockey, and volleyball, serving on boards, and coaching. Stewart is a student of history and art, and has a knowledge of historical artifacts and art.
Réalisations professionnelles et leadership
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2022; Real Estate Law, 2022
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Corporate Commercial Law, 2019-2021; Property Leasing, 2020
- Acritas Stars global survey of stand-out lawyers, 2018
- Regular contributor to various continuing legal education programs in the area of corporate law, including those sponsored by the Law Society of Saskatchewan and the Canadian Bar Association
- Member of Law Society of Saskatchewan Justicia Project Committee
- Pro Bono Law Saskatchewan
- Board member, Royal Regina Golf Club
- Youth Soccer and Volleyball
- Canadian Bar Association
- Regina Bar Association
Formation et admission au barreau
- LL.B., University of Saskatchewan, 1997
- M.A. (history), University of Saskatchewan, 1993
- B.A. (honours), University of Saskatchewan, 1990