( Disponible en anglais seulement )
Shannon Houston is an immigration lawyer working with the team at Miller Thomson to ensure that her clients’ corporate immigration matters are handled effectively and efficiently.
Shannon assists clients with their Canadian business immigration needs including Labour Market Impact Assessment applications, work permit applications (such as NAFTA, intracompany transfer, and LMIA-based work permit applications), and permanent residence applications for the family and economic classes.
Prior to studying law, Shannon worked in the human resources department of an international oilfield services company in Calgary, Alberta, where she gained valuable insight into immigration needs from the client’s perspective.
Shannon articled at a boutique human resources law firm in Calgary before joining Miller Thomson in 2013. She obtained her Juris Doctor from the University of Calgary and her Bachelor of Management from the University of Lethbridge with a double major in Human Resource Management & Labour Relations and International Business.
- “New Developments, Categories and Challenges to the Hire and Retention of Foreign Workers,” Human Resource Institute of Alberta, Edmonton, 2015
- “Express Entry—The New Reality for Economic Immigration to Canada,” 2014
- “Employment and Social Development Announces Moratorium on Processing of Labour Market Opinions and Work Permits for Food Service, Retail and Other Service Industries,” 2014
- “Section 91 (formerly, Bill C-35) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act: Clarification From CIC Regarding Human Resources Personnel,” 2013
- Caseworker, Student Legal Assistance (2009-2010)
- Fundraising for breast cancer research through the Rocky Mountain Soap Company Women’s Run & Walk (2012, 2013, 2016) and the Weekend to End Breast Cancer (2006, 2007)
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
Formation et admission au barreau
- Alberta Bar, 2013
- Juris Doctor, University of Calgary, 2012
- Bachelor of Management – Human Resource Management & Labour Relations and International Business (with distinction), University of Lethbridge, 2008