( Disponible en anglais seulement )
Rick Del Vecchio practices commercial and construction litigation, with specialized experience in debt recovery, construction-related claims and liens, real estate litigation, partnership litigation, shareholder disputes, and general contractual disputes.
Rick advises and represents clients with respect to construction-related legal matters including construction liens, bond claims, claims for breach of contract and breach of trust, negligence, and delay, settlement negotiations, and mediations.
Rick has been involved in proceedings at various levels of court, including the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, the Court of Appeal for Ontario, and the Supreme Court of Canada. He has also appeared as counsel before various tribunals, including the Landlord and Tenant Board.
Rick earned a Bachelor of Laws from the University of Windsor and a Bachelor of Arts from York University. He was called to the Ontario Bar in 2008.
Construction liens/litigation: preservation and perfection of construction liens, legal advice and representation with respect to all aspects of construction-related litigation, such as motions, settlement negotiations, and mediations in respect of construction lien claims, bond claims, claims for breach of contract or breach of trust, negligence, and delay.
Shareholder disputes: experience in dispute resolution between shareholders and corporations, including claims under the oppression section of the Ontario Business Corporations Act.
Rick taught the Civil Trial Procedures and Advocacy course to first-year students in the paralegal program at Sheridan College Institute.
Prior to joining Miller Thomson, Rick practiced commercial and construction litigation at a number of boutique and full-service law firms in Ontario.
Rick is a member of the Ontario Bar Association, The Advocates’ Society, and the Canadian Italian Advocates Association.
Réalisations professionnelles et leadership
- Certificate, The Intensive Trial Advocacy Workshop, Professional Development Program, 2015
- Fairbanx Corp. v. Royal Bank of Canada, 2010 ONCA 385, 262 O.A.C. 251, 16 P.P.S.A.C. (3d) 96, 68 C.B.R. (5th) 102, 189 A.C.W.S. (3d) 849, 319 D.L.R. (4th) 618, 2010 CarswellOnt 3562 (indicates if an error is misleading in respect to financial obligations and creditors)
- “Communicating with Experts,” June 19, 2014
- Teacher, Civil Trial Procedures and Advocacy course, paralegal program, Sheridan College Institute
- Volunteer trial judge, Mock Trial Assignment, paralegal program, Sheridan College Institute
- Ontario Bar Association
- The Advocates’ Society
- Canadian Italian Advocates Organization
Formation et admission au barreau
- Ontario Bar, 2008
- LL.B., University of Windsor, 2007
- B.A. (honours), York University, 2003