( Disponible en anglais seulement )
Whether in a courtroom or on a football field, Nawaz Tahir prides himself on developing well thought out tactical and strategic game plans to provide favourable outcomes for his insurance and class action clients and teams. Nawaz has conducted jury and non-jury trials, arbitrations, and appeals. He acted for insurers in the Toronto Propane explosion class action. His competitive yet pragmatic nature has led him to success at all levels of court in Ontario.
Nawaz has presented frequently to clients, industry groups, and lawyers on substantive law issues, professional responsibility, and the use of technology in law and claims management. He is a past adjunct professor at Western University Law School, where he taught Civil Procedure.
Outside the office, Nawaz is an avid golfer and football fan, and satisfies his passion for football by coaching at the high-school level. He has held various coaching positions, such as defensive coordinator and head coach, and has achieved a number of City and Provincial Championship victories.
Nawaz is active in politics as well as in building bridges between different faiths. He is a champion for democracy and the rule of law and, in 2012, he founded and co-chaired an international conference at Western University on Islam and democracy. He is co-editor of the book Religion and Representation: Islam and Democracy (Cambridge, 2015). Nawaz served three terms on the board of United Way of London and Middlesex where, among other things, he co-founded their GenNext initiative. He presently serves on the Board of Directors of St. Joseph’s Hospital, where he Chairs the Human Resources Committee and the YMCA of Western Ontario, where he Chairs the Governance Committee.
Réalisations professionnelles et leadership
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Litigation – Commercial Insurance, 2018-2019
- “Insurers Can Lighten their Legal Expenses with a new AABS and LATS Workout!” Miller Thomson Ontario Insurance Litigation Blog, March 2016
- “The AB Alphabet Soup’s New Letters – SLASTO and LAT,” Miller Thomson Ontario Insurance Litigation Blog, February 2016
- “Leveraging Favourable Settlements,” Miller Thomson Ontario Insurance Litigation Blog, October 2015
- Advocates Society
- Canadian Bar Association
- Canadian Defence Lawyers
- Defence Research Institute (US)
- Canadian Association of Special Investigation Units
- London Claims Association
- Middlesex Law Association
Formation et admission au barreau
- Ontario Bar, 2002
- LL.B., Western University, 2001
- B.A. (administrative and commercial studies), Western University, 1998