( Disponible en anglais seulement )
Natasha Smith is a member of the Social Impact Group, with a practice dedicated to providing practical legal advice to charities and non-profits, exclusively. In an effort to ensure that these organizations achieve their missions and mandates successfully, Natasha assists these entities with a variety of matters including corporate governance and tax compliance.
Natasha's practice focuses on helping her clients to determine the best structure for their organization and to navigate the complex regulatory environment in which they operate. Specifically, she provides tailored advice on various issues including incorporation and charitable registration, operating in foreign jurisdictions, structuring complex gift agreements, reporting, and general compliance under legislation governing the voluntary sector. Natasha has experience structuring merger and asset-transfer transactions between non-share capital corporations, advising on social enterprise and social finance ventures, and facilitating corporate re-organizations.
Natasha received her Juris Doctorate from the University of Windsor, where she was actively involved in the city’s legal community. Natasha served as a project supervisor for Pro Bono Students Canada where she led a team of students in providing not-for-profit entities with assistance in their corporate governance needs.
Prior to commencing her law degree, Natasha received a B.A. in communications from the University of Calgary.
- Major Developments In Political Activities Rules For Canadian Charities, The Exempt Organization Tax Review, January, 2019
- Lawyers on Non-Profit Board – What You Should Think About Before You Say ‘Yes’
- New Developments Encourage Proactive Tax Planning, Your Guide to Charitable Giving & Estate Planning, November, 2015
- Charity as a Vehicle for Social Enterprise, The Social Entrepreneur, co-authored with Kate Lazier November 26, 2015
- 2014 Primer for Donors, Taxes and Wealth Management, Issue 7-5, November, 2014
- Proposed Changes to Charitable Gifts by Will, Taxes and Wealth Management, Issue 7-4, co-authored with Andrew Valentine, October, 2014
- CRA Reports on its Non-Profit Organization Risk Identification Project, Ontario Bar Association’s Charities and Not-for-Profit Law Section newsletter, May, 2014
- Member, Advisory Council, hErVOLUTION
- Director and Chair, Governance and Nominations Committee, ACCESS Community Capital Fund Inc.
- Vice-Chair, Ontario Bar Association Charities and Not-for-Profit Law Section Executive
- Pro Bono Counsel, Black Law Students’ Association of Canada
- Pro Bono Counsel, Ryerson Pro Bono Legal Clinic
- Supervising Lawyer, Ryerson Law and Development Course
- Project Supervisor, Pro Bono Students Canada
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association: Charities/Not-for-Profit and Taxation Law Sections
- Canadian Association of Gift Planners
- Charity Law Association (UK)
- Canadian Association of Black Lawyers
Formation et admission au barreau
- Ontario Bar, 2013
- J.D., University of Windsor, 2012
- B.A. (communications), University of Calgary, 2007