( Disponible en anglais seulement )
Myron Mallia-Dare is a business lawyer and technology lawyer, with a focus on IT (technology) law, financings, mergers and acquisitions, and strategic business formation advice and support for businesses. His M.B.A. in Entrepreneurship along with years of practical legal and business experience allow him to provide responsive, creative and customized advice that aligns with his clients’ goals. He approaches his practice with the combined goals of simplifying complex legal challenges that will translate into clear value for the businesses that he serves, ensuring that they are set up for competitive success.
Because the legal issues that face business can present significant operational, financial and reputational risks, Myron’s clients appreciate his commitment to protecting their interests by first understanding their business reality and strategic objectives. That understanding is what has consistently assured his effectiveness in identifying and mitigating their risks, whether as existing business owners and operators, or as founders.
Business Law and M&A: Myron provides strategic transactional advice, representing both buyers and sellers in acquisitions involving target companies, both domestic and international. He also advises clients on debt and equity financings and governance matters to support their day-to-day corporate needs.
Start-up and early stage support: Myron routinely works with emerging businesses, private equity and venture capital funds and strategic investors and brings in-depth experience that covers business formations, equity and debt financing, joint ventures and complex business combinations. He acts for both issuers and investors in investments, and sellers and buyers – from seed stage financing through to exit. For his early stage emerging growth clients, Myron provides strategic advice on making themselves investment ready, as well as providing guidance on early stage financing transactions. He is actively involved in several accelerators and business incubator programs that have him speaking and mentoring the startup community.
Technology: Myron counsels clients on complex technology matters relating to IT law including, FinTech, RegTech, blockchain technology, artificial intelligence, technology licensing and commercialization, cloud computing (SaaS, IaaS and PaaS), app development, and medical technology. He has co-authored chapters for two books written by global leading experts titled “Law of Artificial Intelligence and Smart Machines: Understanding A.I. and the Legal Impact” and “Cloud 3.0.” He also has strong understanding of FinTech and focuses on emerging technologically enabled innovation in financial services.
Myron routinely speaks at various conferences and seminars on topics relating to emerging growth markets and the legal impacts of innovative technologies, such as AI and blockchain.
- Moderator, Canadian Regulatory Technology Association: “Conquering the Complexity – Managing Third-Party Risk”, May 13, 2020
- Author, Canadian Venture Capital Association’s Central: How Private Equity and Venture Capital Funds can Weather the COVID-19 Crisis, April 2020
- Speaker, Data and AI Marketing Toronto Conference and Expo, December 2, 2019
- Co-author, American Bar Association’s Business Law Today: OSC Orders Approval of Prospectus for Canada’s First Bitcoin Investment Fund, March 2020
- Co-author, American Bar Association’s Business Law Today: RegTech: How Technology Can Revolutionize Compliance, February 2020.
- Co-author, American Bar Association’s Business Law Today: How Can Venture Debt Fuel a Start-up or Emerging Growth Company’s Growth, January 2020.
- Moderator, Best Practices for Contracting to Protect the Business, Ontario Bar Association’s Institute Program on “The Future of Innovation: Fundamental Shifts in IP and IT Law”, February 4, 2019.
- Co-author, American Bar Association’s Business Law Today: The Potential Impact of Blockchain Technology on Securitization, December, 2019.
- Co-chair, Blockchain & Artificial Intelligence Meet Privacy Law: An Interactive Conversation on Strategizing for Clients, Ontario Bar Association, September 17, 2019.
- Mentor, Dev Sprint Toronto, World Legal Summit, September 6 – 8, 2019.
- Co-author, Business Law Today: Canadian Senate Report Urges Action on Open Banking, August 13, 2019.
- Co-author, Chapter entitled “Artificial Intelligence in Canada” Law of Artificial Intelligence and Smart Machines: Understanding A.I. and the Legal Impact. Chicago: American Bar Association, August 1, 2019.
- Panelist, Autonomous Machines, World Legal Summit, August 1, 2019.
- Moderator, Cyber Security and Personal Data, World Legal Summit, August 1, 2019.
- Co-author, Chapter entitled “Cloud Computing in Canada” Cloud 3.0. Chicago: American Bar Association, April 2, 2019.
- Speaker, Privacy and Policy: Protecting Your Business – Practical Guidance for Technology Companies, Ryerson’s Legal Innovation Zone, February 25, 2019.
- Speaker, Cybersecurity and the Boardroom – Responsibilities of Directors, Officers and Counsel, Cybersecurity Webinar Series, January 22, 2019.
- Speaker, Privacy and Security Risks in Blockchain, Cybersecurity Seminar, November 14, 2018.
- Speaker, Cybersecurity and the Boardroom – Responsibilities of Directors, Officers and Counsel, Cybersecurity Seminar, November 14, 2018.
- Panelist, Impacts of Blockchain and Artificial Intelligence on Governments and Society, Blockchain Innovation Communities Beyond Crypto Conference, April 7, 2018.
- Speaker, Due Diligence in Purchase Agreements, The Institute of Law Clerks of Ontario’s Advanced Corporate Law Program, October 12, 2016.
- Speaker, Protecting IP and Contracting for Producers, Rain Dance Toronto, June 15, 2016.
- Committee Member, Canadian Venture Capital Association – YPC (CVCA-YPC)
- Planning Committee, Toronto Computer Lawyers’ Group (TCLG)
- Planning committee, 2019 Can-Tech Law Annual Conference
- Board Director, Kindred Spirits Orchestra
- Mentor, Planet Hatch – an incubator for technology startups
- Mentor, Propel ICT – an incubator for IT startups
- Mentor, Menteer – a career skills incubator
- Mentor, Ryerson’s Legal Innovation Zone – an incubator for legal technology startups
- Past Director, Youth Centres Canada
- Past Section Executive – Ontario Bar Association – Information Technology & Intellectual Property Law Section
- Canadian Technology Law Association
- Toronto Computer Lawyers’ Group
- Canadian Bar Association
- American Bar Association
Formation et admission au barreau
- Ontario Bar, 2015
- Oxford Fintech Programme, Saïd Business School, University of Oxford, 2019
- J.D., University of New Brunswick, 2014
- M.B.A. (Entrepreneurship), University of New Brunswick, 2011
- B.B.A. (Hons.), University of New Brunswick, 2007