( Disponible en anglais seulement )
Melissa Timbres has a general solicitor's practice, focused predominantly on commercial real estate, property and land development, commercial transactions, banking and financial services.
Melissa provides strategic counsel to owner-managed and closely-held businesses, real estate developers, and lenders with corporate, commercial and regulatory issues, including assisting with secured financings, commercial transactions, corporate reorganizations, land development contracts, joint ventures, sales and acquisitions of businesses, technology and licensing matters, and contracting for third party services. Business owners and individuals also benefit from Melissa's experience advising on the corporate aspects of estate planning and domestic agreements.
In addition, Melissa practices in the area of privacy law, drafting privacy policies, advising on compliance issues in contracts such as services contracts, international and outsourcing arrangements and assisting with numerous other privacy law compliance issues for both the private and public sector. She also advises numerous not for profit, philanthropic, tax-exempt entities, educational organizations and religious institutions on corporate governance and other commercial and governance matters.
Earlier in her legal career, Melissa was seconded to a client in the post-secondary education sector. This practical experience gave her a first-hand appreciation for the client’s point a view, a perspective that continues to benefit her clients today. She has a strong appreciation for the important roles that accessibility, responsiveness and communication play in helping her clients achieve their goals and minimize their risk.
Prior to joining Miller Thomson, Melissa was a partner at a regional law firm in Edmonton, serving a wide range of clients in the commercial real estate, land development and financial services sectors, among others.
Réalisations professionnelles et leadership
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Real Estate, 2020-2021
- G.R. Barnes & Associates Ltd. v. Solvent Buddy (Western) Inc.,  A.J. No. 839, Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench.
- Developed Master Service Agreements for a global, family-owned energy services provider covering key areas such as warranties and risk allocation for use with the client’s major customers.
- Developed a Community Master Agreement for a real estate and land developer to streamline the process for selling lots to builders for development.
- Assisted client with custom agreements for remote credentialing examinations.
- Assisted client with the development of an RFP and related agreements for an electronic national student mobility project.
- Assisted large retailer client with development of a points and loyalty app for customers.
- Assisted client with development and implementation of suite of workplace related applications for health & safety program and compliance.
- Assisted client with structure, development and implementation of joint venture related to housing needs and requirements for vulnerable population and clientele.
- Member, Provincial Court Nominating Committee
- Pro Bono legal counsel for a not for profit choir association
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
Formation et admission au barreau
- Alberta Bar, 2001
- LL.B., University of Alberta, 2000
- BSc, University of Alberta, 1995