( Disponible en anglais seulement )
Melissa Preston maintains a general civil and corporate commercial litigation practice. Melissa has a particular interest in shareholder disputes, directors’ duties and professional liability, and has experience in drafting pleadings, complex legal opinions, court applications, briefs, and facta.
Melissa brings a strong academic background to her practice. She articled to The Honourable Madam Justice Donna Shelley at the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench, as well as serving on the editorial board of the Alberta Law Review. Melissa was recognized on the Dean’s List throughout her time at law school and is the recipient of the Judges’ Bronze Medal in Law from the University of Alberta for standing 3rd overall in her graduating class.
Prior to attending law school, Melissa obtained her Bachelor of Commerce with distinction from the University of Alberta. She worked in marketing at the Alberta Motor Association and as a research student for the Alberta Law Reform Institute before joining Miller Thomson.
Melissa is actively involved in the Edmonton legal community, serving as a volunteer with the Provincial Court Civil Claims Duty Counsel Program and with the Court of Queen’s Bench Amicus Program.
Réalisations professionnelles et leadership
- Recipient, Judges’ Bronze Medal in Law, University of Alberta, 2014
- Recipient, John E. Brownlee Memorial Prize in Local Government Law, University of Alberta, 2014
- Recipient, Chief Justice S. Bruce Smith Prize for achieving highest standing in first year law, University of Alberta, 2012
- Recipient, The Blake, Cassels and Graydon Second Year Scholarship, University of Alberta, 2012
- Recipient, The Dr. Alexander Smith, Q.C. Prize in the Subject of Contract, University of Alberta, 2012
- Presenter, “Smartphone Applications for Family Law,” Alberta Law Conference, 2015
- Volunteer, Civil Claims Duty Counsel, 2015-present
- Volunteer, Queen’s Bench Amicus Program, 2015-present
- Volunteer, Student Legal Services Civil Division, 2011-2012
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
Formation et admission au barreau
- Alberta Bar, 2015
- J.D. (with distinction), University of Alberta, 2014
- B.Comm. (with distinction), University of Alberta, 2010