( Disponible en anglais seulement )
Leanna Olson advises clients on litigation and construction law matters, focusing on the construction industry including residential, commercial, infrastructure, and industrial projects.
Leanna helps clients at the initial stage of projects by reviewing contracts, assisting with contract negotiations, and drafting custom-built contracts.
When disputes arise, Leanna will review and advise on the issues, and will navigate her clients through negotiation, mediation, arbitration, or litigation when necessary.
Leanna has particular strength in construction law issues, such as:
Contract claims: Leanna will review initial disputes and advise on options including negotiation, mediation, arbitration, and litigation. Contract claims may include construction defects, deficiencies, extras, and delay claims.
Contract security: Leanna can provide assistance with contract security options, such as bonds. As the project progresses, if there are payment issues she can navigate the lien claim process and help resolve claims.
Contract review and negotiations: Leanna can review her clients’ existing contracts. She is familiar with industry standard forms and can also build custom contracts.
Prior to joining Miller Thomson, Leanna practiced construction law in Ontario.
Réalisations professionnelles et leadership
- Beament Green Prize, for the highest mark in Trial Advocacy, 2009
- Frydman v. Pelletier, 2016 ABCA 98
- Shaeen v.Meridian Insurance Group Inc., 2011 ONSC 1578
- Moderated panels at Prompt Payment & Adjudication Symposium; Moderated panels on Surety Bonding Insurance and owner perspectives on legislative changes, February 2020
- Seminar, « What is New in Tendering? », November 2019
- Seminar, « Construction Law: Builders’ Lien Boot Camp », October 2019
- Seminar, « Builders’ Lien Update and the New Ontario Construction Act », September 2019
- Seminar, « Builder’s Lien Update and an Overview of the Ontario Construction Act », April 2019
- Seminar, « Managing Risk in Construction Contracts and Projects », Topic: « Examining Ontario’s Construction Act – Key Takeaways for Western Canada », January 2019
- Seminar, « Integrative Project Delivery – What are the terms? », October 2018
- Co-author of CCDC Introduces Integrated Project Delivery Contract, Construction Economist, Fall 2018
- Co-author of CCDC Introduces Integrated Project Delivery Contract, Breaking Ground: MT Construction Law Blog, 2018
- Seminar, « Calgary Construction Seminar: Limiting Risk Through Contract », April 2018
- Co-author of the Canada chapter in the International Comparative Legal Guide on Construction & Engineering, 2018
- Seminar, « Integrated Project Delivery – What are the terms? », February 2018
- Co-author of The Time Limit for Making Claims, Breaking Ground: MT Construction Law Blog, 2018
- Co-author of Refresher on Extras and Back Charges, Breaking Ground: MT Construction Law Blog, 2018
- Co-author of Lien Periods for Work Done on Oil Sands in Alberta, Breaking Ground: MT Construction Law Blog, 2017
- Co-author of Prompt Payment for Federal Projects, Construction Canada 2017
- Contributor to the Breaking Ground: MT Construction Law Blog
- Seminar on Prompt Payment, November and December 2016
- Co-author of the Canada chapter in the International Comparative Legal Guide on Construction & Engineering, 2016
- Panelist on Scope of Work, at Construction Owners Association of Alberta Best Practices Conference, May 2016
- Seminar on Construction Contract Security, May 2016
- Volunteer Duty Counsel, Calgary Civil Claims Duty Project
- Alberta Bar Association
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- Calgary Bar Association
- Young Canadian Arbitration Practitioners
- Calgary Construction Association
- Construction Owners Association of Alberta, Contracts committee member
Formation et admission au barreau
- Ontario, 2010
- Alberta, 2014
- LL.B. (cum laude), University of Ottawa, 2009
- B.Comm. (with distinction), University of Alberta, 2005