( Disponible en anglais seulement )
Katie's background in the public sector means she is skilled at working collaboratively with a large employer and diverse sectors across British Columbia. In the labour law context, Katie provides advice to employers on a wide range of matters, including certification and voluntary recognition, and represents their interests in litigation. Katie's employment law practice involves representing the interests of employers in litigation, as well as advising employers on matters including employment standards issues, the termination of employment, occupational health and safety, the accommodation of employees in the workplace, and human rights issues such as discrimination and duty to accommodate. Katie has appeared before arbitrators, administrative tribunals, the BC Labour Relations Board, the Provincial Court of British Columbia, and the B.C. Supreme Court.
Her experience encompasses:
- Labour relations: labour relations and discipline; advice to employers regarding the development and implementation of management rules and the process of collective bargaining; labour arbitrations, including complex job and wage reviews; filing and responding to applications to the Labour Relations Board including essential services applications, exclusion of employees from membership in bargaining units, unfair labour practices, duty of fair representation, certification, and successorship.
- Employment law: defending claims against employers for wrongful dismissal; employment agreements; secondment agreements; termination of employees; management of employees with performance problems or medical restrictions; advice to employers regarding wrongful dismissal claims, employee status, retiring employees, and workplace investigations; review of workplace policies to ensure compliance with employment standards and human rights legislation.
- Human rights: conduct of complaints and applications before the BC Human Rights Tribunal; providing employers with strategies and advice to ensure compliance.
In her previous capacity as legal counsel for the provincial government, Katie provided legal advice and representation on behalf of a large human resources entity which manages both included and excluded public service employees. In this context, Katie strove to provide her clients with thoughtful and detail-oriented solutions to a variety of legal issues, and to develop productive and collegial working relationships with both clients and opposing counsel.
Katie’s passion for the practice of law and the performing arts often combine for the benefit of her community. She is a repeat cast member in The Lawyer Show, an annual fundraiser where members of the Vancouver legal community perform a musical for the benefit for Carousel Theatre for Young People and Touchstone Theatre.
- Member-at-large, Vancouver Bar Association (2017-2019) – The Vancouver Bar Association is a non-profit organization which supports lawyers practicing in the City of Vancouver and across British Columbia. As an executive member of the VBA, Katie was responsible for the planning and execution of a variety of charitable, professional development, and social events for members of the Vancouver bar.
- Cast member, The Lawyer Show – Annual fundraising theatrical performance for Carousel Theatre for Young People and Touchstone Theatre. Member of the casts for Hairspray (2016), Grease (2017), and Urinetown (2019).
- Law Society of British Columbia
- Canadian Bar Association
- Vancouver Bar Association
Formation et admission au barreau
- British Columbia Bar, 2016
- J.D., University of British Columbia, 2015
- B.A. (Hons.), University of British Columbia, 2011