( Disponible en anglais seulement )
Katie provides advice and representation in all areas of law related to the workplace, and is skilled at working collaboratively with employers from diverse sectors who do business in British Columbia. Katie has appeared before arbitrators, administrative tribunals, the BC Labour Relations Board, the Provincial Court of British Columbia, and the BC Supreme Court.
Her experience encompasses:
- Labour law: Providing advice regarding collective bargaining; interpretation and application of collective agreements; advising employers and representing their interests before the BC Labour Relations Board with respect to certification, common employer findings, essential service declarations, unfair labour practice allegations, successorship, and common-site picketing; preparation of voluntary recognition agreements; advising employers on discipline of unionized employees leading up to and including termination; grievance arbitration; job and wage rate reviews.
- Employment law: Defending claims against employers for wrongful dismissal; employment agreements; secondment agreements; termination of employees; management of employees with performance problems or medical restrictions; advice to employers regarding wrongful dismissal claims, employee status, retiring employees, and workplace investigations; review and drafting of workplace policies to ensure compliance with employment standards and human rights legislation.
- Human rights law: Conduct of complaints and applications before the BC Human Rights Tribunal; providing employers with strategies and advice to ensure compliance.
In her previous capacity as legal counsel with the BC Ministry of Attorney General, Katie provided legal advice to and representation on behalf of a large human resources entity, which manages both included and excluded public service employees. In this context, Katie strove to provide her clients with thoughtful and detail-oriented solutions to a variety of legal issues, and to develop productive and collegial working relationships with both clients and opposing counsel.
Katie’s passion for the practice of law and the performing arts often combine for the benefit of her community. She has appeared several times in The Lawyer Show, an annual fundraiser where members of the Vancouver legal community perform a musical for the benefit for Carousel Theatre for Young People and Touchstone Theatre.
Réalisations professionnelles et leadership
- The Best Lawyers in Canada: Ones to Watch – Labour and Employment Law, 2022
- Member-at-large, Vancouver Bar Association (2017-2019) – The Vancouver Bar Association is a non-profit organization which supports lawyers practicing in the City of Vancouver and across British Columbia. As an executive member of the VBA, Katie was responsible for the planning and execution of a variety of charitable, professional development, and social events for members of the Vancouver bar.
- Cast member, The Lawyer Show – Annual fundraising theatrical performance for Carousel Theatre for Young People and Touchstone Theatre. Member of the casts for Hairspray (2016), Grease (2017), and Urinetown (2019).
- Law Society of British Columbia
- Canadian Bar Association
- Vancouver Bar Association
Formation et admission au barreau
- British Columbia Bar, 2016
- J.D., University of British Columbia, 2015
- B.A. (Hons.), University of British Columbia, 2011