( Disponible en anglais seulement )
Justine Abtosway is an associate in Miller Thomson’s Administrative Law and Commercial Litigation practice groups. Justine primarily practices management-side labour, employment and administrative law.
Justine’s labour and employment practice includes:
- Advising on issues related to employee hiring, performance management, discipline and terminations
- Drafting and reviewing employment documents including employment agreements, independent contractor agreements, workplace policies and procedures, codes of conduct and employee handbooks
- Representing employers in civil lawsuits for wrongful dismissal, constructive dismissal, breach of fiduciary duties and breach of restrictive covenants claims, among others
- Advising on human rights, privacy, employment and labour legislation and collective agreement obligations
- Representing employers in administrative proceedings for issues including privacy and human rights complaints, among others
- Delivering educational and training seminars for employers on employment topics including workplace investigations
Justine has represented employers, corporations and professionals in the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench and the Alberta Provincial Court, before various boards and tribunals, and in mediations.
In law school, Justine participated in numerous advocacy competitions, placing second in the 2013 Chief Justice William McGillivray Moot Court Competition and the 2015 Davies’ Corporate/Securities Law Moot Competition. She also placed third in the 2014 Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition and advanced to the international round with her team.
Justine continues to be involved with the University of Calgary’s mooting program and is an external member of the Faculty of Law’s Mooting and Debating Committee.
- Law Society of Alberta
- Canadian Bar Association
- Calgary Bar Association
- Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers
Formation et admission au barreau
- Alberta Bar, 2016
- J.D., University of Calgary, 2015
- M.A., Dalhousie University, 2011
- B.A. (Honours), St. Francis Xavier University, 2010