( Disponible en anglais seulement )
Joshua Liswood has a specialized health industry practice, advising clients on a broad range of matters with particular emphasis on corporate governance, regulatory issues, private/public relationships and transactions, and medical/legal litigation.
Joshua regularly provides general counsel to the firm’s public and private sector health industry clients, as well as acting on behalf of his clients in their interactions with government and regulatory bodies. Joshua has also advised and assisted healthcare clients in successful negotiations with government in respect of restructuring.
He has argued cases before the Supreme Court of Canada, as well as appearing before the Ontario Court of Appeal, the Superior Court of Justice, the Coroner’s Court, the Health Professions Review and Appeal Board, and other tribunals.
In July 1994, the Law Society of Upper Canada (now Law Society of Ontario) requested that Joshua act as special counsel to the Law Society’s Insurance Task Force. Following the Task Force Report, he was asked to act as Interim President of the Lawyers’ Professional Indemnity Company, which provides liability insurance to all lawyers in Ontario.
Joshua combines extensive experience in health-related legal matters with an emphasis on first understanding his client’s needs to ensure that all the decisions made are responsive to the client’s business goals.
Réalisations professionnelles et leadership
- The Best Lawyers in Canada, Health Care Law, 2006 – 2017
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Medical Negligence, 2014 – 2017
- Recognized in Lexpert Directory, top 100 leaders of industry focused legal practices in Canada
- “What Directors Need to Know: Enterprise Risk Management“, Coffee Talk: Directors Series (with Kanani, K., Miller Thomson LLP), May 25, 2017
- “Health Professionals, Regulatory Reporting and Investigation”, Coffee Talk: A Miller Thomson LLP Health Industry Seminar Series (with Spiegel, L., Miller Thomson LLP), May 18, 2016
- Complying with Revised Regulations under the Optometry Act, Health Communiqué, September 4, 2014
- Canada Not-for-Profit Corporations Act Proclaimed in Force, Health Communiqué, October 18, 2011
- Best Practices: Applications for Hospital Privileges, Health Communiqué, September 29, 2011
- Legislative Amendments Facilitate Expansion of Nurse Practitioners’ Role in Hospitals, Health Communiqué, July 14, 2011
- The Excellent Care for All Act, 2010, Health Communiqué, December 15, 2010
- Ontario makes Changes to Governance and Critical Incident Reporting Requirements for Public Hospitals, Health Communiqué, May 13, 2010
- Bill C-4: Future Changes for Federally Incorporated Not-for-Profit Corporations, Health Communiqué, September 3, 2009
- Managing Workplace Violence and Disruptive Physician Behaviour: Coroner’s Inquest Into the Death of Lori Dupont, Communiqué for the Health Industry, February 26, 2008
- The Legal Implications of Wait Times Strategies, 2007
- The Hospital Board and its Medical Advisory Committee: A Necessary and Valuable Partnership, Communiqué for the Health Industry, April 24, 2007
- Accountability Agreements, Communiqué for the Health Industry, October 24, 2005
- Teletriage, Teletriage Liability, Risk and Responsibility, 2004
- Liability, Risk and Responsibility Issues Attached to Teletriage, 2004
- Refurbished Medical Devices, 2004
- Bill 8: An Illusionary Accountability?, Communiqué for the Health Industry, February 24, 2004
- Respiratory Therapy Update, Communiqué for the Health Industry, August 31, 2001
- Plan International Inc., Chair of the International Board; Chair of the Members’ Assembly
- Plan International Canada Inc. (formerly Foster Parents Plan), Vice-Chair
- Canadian Bar Association
- Medico-Legal Society
- Defense Research Institute
- Metropolitan Toronto Lawyers Association
Formation et admission au barreau
- Ontario Bar, 1979
- LL.B., Osgoode Hall Law School, 1977
- B.A., York University