( Disponible en anglais seulement )
Jonathan Tong practices in the areas of corporate finance, securities law and corporate and commercial matters, with a particular emphasis on capital market transactions and capital market regulatory compliance.
Jonathan frequently represents clients ranging from small to large enterprises on public offerings, private placement financings, listing applications, reverse takeovers, proxy battles, continuous disclosure and corporate governance. In addition, he regularly advises entrepreneurs, venture capital investors and start-ups on a wide breadth of legal matters, all with his clients’ best interests and overall business goals in mind.
Jonathan has considerable experience acting for public and private companies from different industries, including esports, real estate, technology, biotech, pharma, life sciences, mining and other resource sectors.
Jonathan is a founder and co-chair of Breakfast of Champions in support of SickKids, which is an annual fundraiser that has raised over $1 million for SickKids Foundation. Additionally, he serves as a member of the Executive Committee of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Foundation’s young professionals group, Game Changers.
Jonathan also serves as an instructor of the Corporate Finance course at Windsor Law School and is a member of the Continuous Disclosure Advisory Committee of the Ontario Securities Commission, which advises staff on the planning, implementation and communication of its continuous disclosure review program, as well as related policy initiatives.
Réalisations professionnelles et leadership
- Founder/co-chair, SickKids Activators, a not-for-profit philanthropic and networking organization of young professionals supporting The Hospital for Sick Children, 2012 – present
- Dean’s Gold Key Award, Osgoode Hall Law School, 2009
- Legal & Literary Society Student Honour Award, Osgoode Hall Law School, 2009
- « Investing in Esports », The Business of Esports & Gaming with the Pros Conference, Toronto, August 15, 2019
- « 10 key recommendations from the Ontario Capital Markets Modernization Taskforce« , Securities Practice Notes Communiqué, March 10, 2021
- « Updated TSX guidelines for security based compensation disclosure« , Securities Practice Notes Communiqué, January 26, 2021
- « Making a splash: Changes to TSXV’s Capital Pool Company program arriving in 2021« , Securities Practice Notes Communiqué, December 11, 2020
- « New amendments simplify “at-the-market” distributions in Canada and make them more attractive to issuers« , Securities Practice Notes Communiqué, July 29, 2020
- « Offering in confidence: New confidential prospectus pre-file review process« , Securities Practice Notes Communiqué, June 16, 2020
- « COVID-19: Capital markets and securities update« , Securities Practice Notes Communiqué, March 27, 2020
- « COVID-19: Canadian capital markets & securities considerations« , Securities Practice Notes Communiqué, March 20, 2020
- « It’s in the Game: The Esports Legal Playbook« , February 10, 2020
- « Esports: The Next Billion Dollar Industry« , September 2019
- Instructor, « Corporate Finance, » University of Windsor, Faculty of Law, 2016 – present
- Instructor, “Administrative Law”, Seneca College of Applied Arts and Technology, 2012 – 2013
- Board of Directors, MLSE Foundation Game Changers, 2015 – present
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
Formation et admission au barreau
- Ontario Bar, 2010
- J.D., Osgoode Hall Law School, 2009
- B.A. Honours, University of Toronto, 2006