( Disponible en anglais seulement )
Jennifer Corak’s practice focuses primarily on estate and business succession planning. Her clients rely on her expertise when planning their estates, including during the process of preparing their Wills, trusts and powers of attorney, and related estate matters. Jennifer works with her clients and their other professional advisors to establish estate plans suited to her clients' specific situations and which reflects their wishes.
Jennifer advises her clients in estate and business law matters, including:
Estate Planning: drafting of Wills, trusts and powers of attorney for property and personal care for high net-worth individuals, blended families, and families that have individuals with disabilities.
Business Succession Planning: corporate re-organizations, amalgamations, and estate freezes.
Jennifer started her career at a full service firm in midtown Toronto where she was a member of the firm’s Business Law and Wills, Estates & Trusts groups. In addition to advising clients on various estate planning and business succession matters, she advised clients on business purchase and sale transactions, commercial contract matters, and as a trade-mark agent registered with the Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO), matters related to the registration of trademarks. Jennifer enjoys writing and speaking on a variety of topics and was a regular contributor to the firm’s legal blog.
Jennifer graduated from University of Toronto with an Honours Bachelor of Science and is an alumnus of University College.
Jennifer received her J.D. from the University of Windsor, Faculty of Law. During her time in Windsor, Jennifer was the recipient of the Charles J. Clark Scholarship in Law, the Alumni Association (Toronto Chapter) Bursary in Law, and the Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP Centennial Prize in Constitutional Law.
Réalisations professionnelles et leadership
- Recipient, Award for Highest Mark in Law of Trusts Course, Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) Canada, 2018
- Speaker, « Case Comment on the Ontario Case of Tanti v Tanti« , The Estate Planning Council of Toronto (EPCT), April 6, 2021
- Co-Presenter, « The Sale and Succession of the Private Corporation: Choice Tax and Estate Planning Issues » 2 part webinar, The Peel Halton Advocis Chapter, May 1, 2020 and May 8, 2020
- Co-Presenter, « Crossing Borders: The « Tips » and « Traps » of Cross-Border Estate Planning », Mississauga Estate Planning Council, February 10, 2020
- Panelist, « Estate Administration Panel” at CAGP Greater Toronto Area Chapter’s Half Day Summit, For the Love of Gift Planning, January 23, 2020
- Presenter, « Case Comment: The Case of Bayford v Boese » at STEP Toronto’s Common Estate Planning Slips event, November 13, 2019
- Presenter, Mississauga Public Library and Ontario Bar Association’s Make-a-Will Month Presentation, Mississauga Central Library, November 15, 2018
- Presenter, Mississauga Public Library and Ontario Bar Association’s Make-a-Will Month Presentation, Mississauga Valley Library, November 13, 2018
- Co-Presenter, « Estate and Succession Planning », Wolters Kluwer Sale of a Business Seminar Series, October 31, 2018 and November 1, 2018
- Presenter, Toronto Public Library and Ontario Bar Association’s Make-a-Will Month Presentation, Mimico Centennial Branch, November 21, 2017
- Presenter, Toronto Public Library and Ontario Bar Association’s Make-a-Will Month Presentation, Jane/Dundas Branch, November 4, 2017
- Presenter, “End of Life Planning – Part 2 – The Legalities” held by Fairlawn Avenue United Church, April 20, 2016
- Co-author, « The Importance of Considering Intellectual Property During the Estate Planning and Estate Administration Process: A Primer », Taxes & Wealth Management, Issue 12-2, June 2019
- Daniel Estate (Re): A « Good News’ Story », Wealth Matters, May 2019
- Co-author, Chapter 11 « Income Splitting, The Tax on Split Income (« TOSI ») and the Attribution Rules » in Miller Thomson on Estate Planning, (Thomson Reuters Looseleaf), 2018
- « Donating Wine and Determining Fair Market Value », Taxes and Wealth Management, Issue 11-3, October 2018
- Co-Author, “The Administration of Testamentary Trusts – Selected Issues and Considerations for Trustees”, Paper prepared for Law Society of Ontario Administration of Trusts and Estates Seminar, September 21, 2018
- Surviving Spouse Granted Extention of Time to Decide Whether to Make Spousal Election, Wealth Matters, June 2018
- The Importance Of Asking « What if » During The Estate Planning Process – Common Disaster Clauses, Mondaq, August 1, 2017
- December 2016 Amendments To The Business Corporations Act (Ontario) – Part 2, Mondaq, July 27, 2017
- The Importance Of Your Power Of Attorney For Personal Care, Mondaq, July 26, 2017
- Post-Humous Conception And Estates Law – Who Are Your Descendants?, Mondaq, July 26, 2017
- Member, Canadian Croatian Choral Society
- Technology Liaison, Elder Law Section Executive, Ontario Bar Association, 2019 – 2021
- Member at Large, Elder Law Section Executive, Ontario Bar Association, 2018 – 2019
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
- Ontario Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Junior Trusts and Estates Practitioners (JTEP)
- Canadian Association of Gift Planners (CAGP)
- Canadian Tax Foundation
Formation et admission au barreau
- Ontario Bar, 2013
- J.D., University of Windsor Faculty of Law, 2012
- B. Sc. (Hons), University of Toronto, 2009