( Disponible en anglais seulement )
Jamie Martin provides trusted advice to families and family businesses on wealth management matters. Jamie is keenly interested in alternate dispute resolution, particularly in the area of estates and estate administration. Jamie also has a special interest in intellectual property law, and has a large trademark practice advising clients on national and international strategies to protect their brands.
Jamie is well regarded among his peers and maintains a strong BV rating by Martindale Hubbell’s peer-review rating system. The BV ranks Jamie highly in professional abilities and expertise and adherence to professional standards, ethics, reliability, and diligence.
Jamie provides pragmatic and personalized advice for families and individuals and their businesses in a number of areas including:
Estate planning: acting for families with complex estate-planning needs including business succession, family succession, wills, international wills, and powers of attorney.
Estate administration: acting for executors and trustees of estates and assisting in administrative matters.
Estate dispute resolution: training to become certified in dispute resolution and looking forward to doing considerable work to mediate competing interests in estate disputes.
Family business succession & corporate: helping multi-generation families successfully transition their businesses to next generation, as well as developing transition strategies and assisting families with softer issues regarding family business dynamics.
Intellectual property: assisting with branding strategies and representing clients in trademark matters and prosecution of trademark infringements in Canada and the United States. Jamie has built a large trademark practice in Southwestern Ontario, adding significant value for his clients.
Jamie has been an active volunteer in the community throughout his career and has served as Director and Past-Chair of Canada’s Technology Triangle, the Kitchener-Waterloo Art Gallery, and other local boards and agencies. Jamie Co-Chaired an initiative into arts and culture with the Prosperity Council. He also received a provincial appointment to the Board of Governors of Wilfrid Laurier University and has served on the Board since 2010, serving as Chair from 2013 to 2105. Jamie continues his appointment as immediate Past-Chair.
Réalisations professionnelles et leadership
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Insurance Law, 2019
- BV Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Elder and Past Chairman, St. Andrews Presbyterian Church Board
- Past President, Kitchener-Waterloo Art Gallery
- Chair, Canada’s Technology Triangle (CTT)
- Director, Kitchener-Waterloo Art Gallery
- Past Director, Heartwood New Charitable Affordable Housing Initiative
- Member, Board of Governors Wilfrid Laurier University – appointed by Order of Lieutenant Governor in Council 2009
- Member, Law Society of Ontario
- Member, Waterloo Law Association
- Member, Canadian and Ontario Bar Association, Estates and Trusts Section
- Past President, Centre for Family Business, University of Waterloo
- Past Member and Director, Kitchener Rotary Club
- Past President, Kitchener-Waterloo Kinsmen Club and Charitable Foundation
Formation et admission au barreau
- Ontario Bar, 1976
- LL.B., University of Windsor, 1974
- B.A., University of Western Ontario, 1971