( Disponible en anglais seulement )
Gordon Plottel's practice includes a wide variety of commercial litigation and insolvency matters. He has represented corporate and individual clients in a broad spectrum of commercial disputes in the British Columbia Supreme Court and Court of Appeal, in federal courts, and before arbitration panels. He has considerable experience in personal property and real property security and debt enforcement matters, bankruptcy, restructuring and workouts, franchise disputes, commercial contractual and leasing matters, foreclosures, shareholder disputes, and landlord-tenant litigation and arbitration. Gordon has represented corporations, partnerships, individuals, societies, receivers, monitors and trustees in bankruptcy in these types of matters.
Gordon has spoken on legal topics to groups including the Continuing Legal Education Society, the Professional Legal Training Course, the Canadian Bar Association, and a wide variety of industry groups such as the Canadian Franchise Association, the Credit Grantors Association, the Canadian Institute of Credit and Financial Management, and the Canadian Finance and Leasing Association.
He has also published papers in publications, including those of the International Bar Association, Continuing Legal Education, Trial Lawyers’ Association, and a number of trade publications.
Gordon is recognized by The Best Lawyers in Canada for Franchise Litigation and a Benchmark Canada Litigation Star.
He strives to provide his clients with a practical, results-oriented, and efficient approach to dispute resolution and realization matters.
Réalisations professionnelles et leadership
- Benchmark Canada, Litigation Star: General Commercial; Insolvency, 2017-2019
- The Best Lawyers in Canada, Franchise Law, 2016 – 2019
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Franchise (Franchisor) Law, 2015 – 2017
- Clerk to the Supreme Court of British Columbia, 1986 – 1987
- “Bankruptcy: Its Interplay with Property and Support Issues under the Family Law Act,” Trial Lawyers Association of BC seminar, 2014
- “Insolvency Issues for Landlords, Tenants, and Real Estate Practitioners,” CBA Real Property subsection meeting, 2012
- “How Franchisors Can Cope with the Bankruptcy or Insolvency of Franchisees and Others,” Canadian Franchise Association Western Canada Summit, 2009
- “Debt Recovery in Challenging Economic Times,” Miller Thomson seminar, 2009
- “The Insolvency of a Franchisee: How a Franchisor Can Respond To It and Prepare For It,” Canadian Franchise Association Pacific Region Legal Symposium, 2001
- Counsel Comments: Integris Credit Union v. Mercedes-Benz Financial Services Canada Corporation, BC Take Five newsletter, OnPoint Legal Research, 2016
- “Some Bankruptcy Law Issues Affecting Division of Assets and Support Under the Family Law Act,” 2014
- “Maximizing Lessors’ Deficiency Claims,” Canadian Equipment Finance, 2013
- “When is a Lease a ‘True Lease’?,” The Lawyers Weekly, 2008
- Canadian Bar Association: Civil Litigation, Insolvency, Banking and Business Law Sections
Formation et admission au barreau
- British Columbia Bar, 1988
- B.A. (Hons), University of British Columbia, 1983
- LL.B., University of Victoria, 1986