( Disponible en anglais seulement )
Esther E.J. Sohn has worked as an international transactional lawyer and her practice focuses on a broad range of corporate, commercial, M&A and financial transactions.
Esther has an exceptional commitment for excellence based on a client-centered approach and strong service mindset. In particular, she takes pride in being very thorough, responsive and proactive to ensure that each matter progresses as efficiently and seamlessly as possible.
Before joining Miller Thomson LLP, Esther worked as an associate and then as a senior foreign attorney within the Corporate and Finance Practice Group at one of the top five law firms in South Korea. She also worked at premier U.K. law firms in Singapore where she received extensive trainings in London and Hong Kong and managed numerous cross-border corporate, commercial, M&A and financial transactions after having articled with a national law firm in Toronto.
Esther has represented a variety of multinational corporations and financial institutions, and has substantial experience in preparing and negotiating various types of commercial agreements and managing share and asset purchase, corporate reorganizations, M&As, equity and debt financing transactions.
Esther was called to the Ontario Bar in 2006 and the British Columbia Bar in 2019.
Réalisations professionnelles et leadership
- Bull Housser & Tupper Academic Award in Technology Law
- Jongman Kim Memorial Academic Award in Korean Legal Studies
The following are a few representative transactions that Esther has worked on:
- Acted for Unison Capital of Japan relating to the acquisition of Gongcha Korea.
- Represented Deutsche Bank in connection with US$30 million K-sure Covered Secured Term Facility provided to E-land Asia Holdings Pte. Ltd. guaranteed by E-land World Limited.
- Represented BMW Group and BMW Financial Services Korea on the issuance of KRW130 billion unsecured bonds.
- Advised a leading power company in Korea on its JPY14.8 billion financing from KDB, on-lent from Japan Bank for International Cooperation, Mizuho Corporate Bank, Ltd. and The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, Ltd.
- Advised KEXIM in connection with US$470,743,000 financing of the four container vessels under the French Tax Lease structure provided to CMA CGM SA by BNP Paribas, CM-CIC and KEXIM.
- Represented equity investors in relation to the acquisition of one of the top five coal producers in Indonesia with an enterprise value of US$1,180 million by way of acquiring various intermediary holding companies in BVI, Indonesia, Netherlands, Malta, Seychelles and Singapore.
- Represented MLAs of a syndicate of 15 lenders in connection with the S$661 million guarantee project financing of a 300 mm wafer fabrication plant in Singapore, supported by a capital assistance loan from the Economic Development Board, Singapore.
- Represented a hydro-electric power company in the Philippines in relation to refinancing of debt service reserve facility and debt modification.
- Korean (native)
Formation et admission au barreau
- British Columbia Bar, 2019
- Ontario Bar, 2006
- LL.B., University of British Columbia, 2005
- M.A., Ontario Institute for Studies in Education at University of Toronto
- B.A. (Education), Magna Cum Laude, Ewha Womans University