( Disponible en anglais seulement )
Eric Davis is an LSO Certified Specialist in Municipal Law (Local Government/Land Use Planning and Development) who acts for homeowners, businesses, developers, and other private sector clients. He also represents municipalities and other public bodies across Ontario, including school boards. Eric regularly assists clients with planning- and zoning-related matters, including re-zonings, plans of subdivision, site plans, minor variances, and severances, as well as Local Planning Appeal Tribunal appeals. Eric also regularly handles expropriations, municipal conflicts of interest, prosecutions, by-law drafting, municipal tax sales, heritage matters, public procurement, and municipal elections. He focuses on matters related to municipal governments.
Eric provides practical advice and counsel in a number of areas:
Municipal services: Eric regularly handles expropriations, municipal conflicts of interest, prosecutions, by-law drafting, municipal tax sales, heritage matters, public procurement, and municipal elections.
Administrative law: Eric advises clients on procedural matters, including procedural fairness issues, and regularly appears before various local boards, Municipal Heritage Committees, Committees of Adjustment and Local Planning Appeal Tribunal.
Land development: Eric assists clients with planning- and zoning-related matters, including re-zonings, plans of subdivision, site plans, minor variances and severances, and Local Planning Appeal Tribunal appeals.
Environmental: Eric advises clients on various environmental matters, such as records of site condition, municipal class environmental assessments, and environment-related restrictions on land use, such as matters involving conservation authorities.
Procurement and contracts: Eric has particular expertise in public procurement and assists municipal and other public-sector clients with the drafting of purchasing by-laws, the preparation of bid documents, and the resolution of any issues that arise during the bid process.
Réalisations professionnelles et leadership
- Recipient, Paul Harris Fellowship, 2017
- Recipient, Outstanding Leadership Award, Rotary Waterloo, 2016
- Certified Specialist in Municipal Law: Local Government/Land Use Planning and Development, Law Society of Ontario, 2013
- Recipient, Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal, 2012
- Recipient, International Municipal Lawyers Association Canadian Scholarship, 2012
- Selected one of Waterloo Region’s Top 40 Under 40 by the Record, 2011
- Associate Faculty Member, Conestoga College Municipal Law Clerk Program
- Executive Member, Ontario Bar Association, Municipal Law Section
- « Bill 68’s Recent Changes to Municipal Investment Powers Part II: The Regulation Cometh », Ontario Bar Association Municipal Law Section Newsletter (7 Jun 2018)
- “Bill 68’s Recent Changes to Municipal Investment Powers”, Ontario Bar Association Municipal Law Section Newsletter (13 Jun 2017)
- « Failing to File Financial Statements Under the Municipal Elections Act, 1996« , Ontario Bar Association Municipal Law Section Newsletter (28 June 2016)
- « Security of the Property of the Municipality: Interpreting Section 239(2)(a) of the Municipal Act, 2001 » Ontario Bar Association Municipal Law Section Newsletter (16 June 2015)
- “It’s An Honour Just to be Nominated: Hill v. Di Lullo & Nomination Requirements of Municipal Elections” (2015) 7 D.M.P.L. (2d) February 2015, Issue 2
- « Magder v. Ford: A Call to Reform the Ontario Municipal Conflict of Interest Act » Municipal Lawyer 54:1 (January/February 2013) 17
- “All Aboard the Conflict Train: Ontario’s Municipal Conflict of Interest Act and Light Rail Transit in Waterloo Region” Municipal World 122:4 (April 2012) 13
- “Landslide Victory: How One Vote Made the Difference” (2011) 5 D.M.P.L. (2d), March 2011, Issue 3
- “Fun with Fluoride: Three Plebiscites for the City of Waterloo” Municipal World 121:3 (March 2011) 13
- “Vagueness & Uncertainty in Noise By-Laws: Objective vs. Subjective Tests” (2009) 4 D.M.P.L. (2d), November 2009, Issue 11
- Past-President, Rotary Club of Waterloo
- Former Vice-Chair, United Way of Kitchener-Waterloo and Area
- Past President and Chair of the Board, Grand River Branch, Canadian Mental Health Association
- Past Member, City of Waterloo Municipal Heritage Committee
- Former Member of the Federal and Provincial Affairs Committee, Greater Kitchener-Waterloo Chamber of Commerce
- Former Ambassador and Volunteer, Sustainable Waterloo Region
- Past Member of the Speakers Bureau, Canadian Diabetes Association
- Past Member, Community Editorial Board, The Record
- Former Senator, Wilfrid Laurier University
- Member, International Municipal Lawyers Association
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Ontario Bar Association
- Member and Past Trustee, Waterloo Region Law Association
- Member, Law Society of Ontario
- Member, Ontario Expropriation Association
- Past Member, Prosecutors’ Association of Ontario
- Member, Waterloo Region Home Builders’ Association
Formation et admission au barreau
- Ontario Bar, 2006
- Certificate in Provincial Offences Court Practice, Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, 2016
- LL.B., University of Ottawa, 2005
- B.A., Wilfrid Laurier University, 2001