( Disponible en anglais seulement )
Catherine Bate is the Leader of the Marketing, Advertising & Product Compliance Group, and is recognized as one of Canada’s leading lawyers in the field. Cathy advises on all aspects of marketing, advertising and consumer product regulatory matters. From sweepstakes to price promotions, privacy to consumer protection, performance claims to product recalls, she helps multinational corporations and start-ups alike develop practical, effective solutions and compliance strategies. Cathy provides practical advice to help manage compliance obligations in light of rapidly evolving industry trends.
Cathy advises clients on wide-ranging promotional and advertising activities, including promotional contests, games and sweepstakes, social media and mobile programs, influencers and native advertising, pricing and promotion strategies, advertising review and clearances, and more. She assists clients in developing and substantiating advertising claims, and in challenging competitors’ claims when they appear vulnerable. She works with retailers, manufacturers, distributors, importers, and advertising agencies, across virtually every product and service sector.
Her practice encompasses privacy issues relating to consumer marketing strategies, developing privacy policies and internal data management practices. This includes data protection, cross-border data migration and data breach issues. She routinely works with clients on developing effective email, text and social media strategies in light of Canada’s anti-spam law, or “CASL”.
Cathy advises on consumer protection matters, including consumer warranties, retail marketing practices, direct or door-to-door sales, telemarketing laws, and assists traditional retailers in their transition to ecommerce offerings.
On the regulatory side, Cathy assists clients with product claims, labelling compliance, and navigating the rules around specially regulated product including food, cosmetics, alcohol, drugs and natural health products. She advises on product standards, product safety and when necessary, recalls.
You can watch Cathy provide an overview of Advertising Law in Canada, a presentation developed for the Global Advertising Lawyers Alliance, available here.
Réalisations professionnelles et leadership
- Chambers Canada, Advertising & Marketing, 2017 – 2019
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Advertising and Marketing Law, 2012 – 2019
- Acritas Stars global survey of stand-out lawyers, 2018
- Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers in Canada – Advertising and Marketing Law – Toronto, 2012, 2018
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory of Leading Lawyers, Advertising & Marketing Law, 2009 – 2018
- The Lexpert®/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, 2013 – 2018
- Lexpert® Rising Stars Canada’s Leading Lawyers Under 40, 2012
Catherine is actively involved in self-regulatory and new legislative developments that affect the marketing and advertising sector. Cathy previously served as Chair of the Consumer Law Sub-committee of the Ontario Bar Association’s Business Law Section, and Chair of the Marketing Practices Sub-committee of the Canadian Bar Association’s Competition Law Section.
She is a frequent speaker on marketing and advertising matters in Canada and internationally. You can see her presentation delivered in Chicago at the annual meeting of the Global Advertising Alliance in Chicago, April 5, 2016 (Available here)
- Speaker, « Global Sweepstakes & Contests », Practising Law Institute and GALA, webinar, July 26, 2018
- Speaker, Global Advertising Lawyers Alliance (GALA) Annual Meeting, New York, March 14, 2018
- Speaker, « Say Goodbye to Disputes! What Every Lawyer Needs to Know », 24th Advertising & Marketing Law conference, Toronto, Ontario, January 22, 2018
- Speaker, « Global Advertising Law Year in Review », GALA Webinar, Toronto, Ontario, December 7, 2017
- Speaker, « Regulatory Oversight of European, Canadian and American Consumer Marketing in 2018 », ANA/BAA Marketing Law Conference, Chicago, November 13, 2017
- Keynote speaker, « Taking Stock: The State of Food Law & Policy in Canada, Food Labelling and Food Fraud », 2nd Canadian Food Law and Policy conference, Ottawa, November 3, 2017
- Program chair, « Advertising and Marketing Law: Social, Digital, Online Compliance », Toronto, Ontario, October 4, 2017
- Speaker, « Native Advertising & Branded Content in the US & around the World », GALA/PLI Webinar, Toronto, Ontario, July 18, 2017
- Speaker, « A Global Perspective », 2017 ANA Advertising Law & Public Policy Conference, Wa