Canadian Income Tax on US Charities

July 31, 2018 | Robert B. Hayhoe

How does a US charity make sure that it does not pay Canadian tax?  By applying for an exemption letter from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

In Canada, only a charity that is a Canadian registered charity is exempt generally from Canadian income tax. A foreign charity is not able to become a Canadian registered charity. Subject to special rules for US charities, foreign charities should be careful to avoid earning Canadian income from a taxable source.

The Canada-US tax treaty (Treaty) provides in Article XXI that a recognized US 501(c)3 charity is exempt from Canadian tax on income other than business income. Many US charities assume that this is enough and that they may therefore earn Canadian program or investment income free of tax. This conclusion is not entirely accurate.

While the Treaty exempts US charities from Canadian tax, it does not exempt Canadians paying an amount to a non-resident from withholding tax on the payments. Although a US charity that receives a Canadian payment that has been reduced by withholding tax is able to file a Canadian tax return and receive a refund a year or more later (if CRA is convinced of its US status), this has an obvious downside.

It is also possible for a US charity to obtain a withholding tax waiver letter from CRA. This letter enables it to avoid Canadian withholding tax on its Canadian income. CRA sets out the process for obtaining a waiver letter in CRA Guide T4016. The Guide, re-issued on an annual basis, also includes a list of US charities with current waiver letters.

It is important for US charities to remember that the Treaty exemption does not extend to business income. This arises in two contexts. First, while Canadian tax law acknowledges that charitable activity can result in income, the distinction between that revenue and business income under Canadian tax law is not necessarily the same in Canada as in the US. Secondly, Canadian tax law treats limited partnership income generally as business income.

Miller Thomson’s charity tax specialists often provide advice to US charities on Canadian tax exemption issues and would be pleased to advise your organization on its Canadian tax obligations.


This publication is provided as an information service and may include items reported from other sources. We do not warrant its accuracy. This information is not meant as legal opinion or advice.

Miller Thomson LLP uses your contact information to send you information electronically on legal topics, seminars, and firm events that may be of interest to you. If you have any questions about our information practices or obligations under Canada's anti-spam laws, please contact us at

© 2022 Miller Thomson LLP. This publication may be reproduced and distributed in its entirety provided no alterations are made to the form or content. Any other form of reproduction or distribution requires the prior written consent of Miller Thomson LLP which may be requested by contacting