In Broader Public Sector Accountability Bill Re-introduced, we provided an overview of Bill 8, the proposed Public Sector and MPP Accountability and Transparency Act, 2014. If passed, this legislation will put into place a wide range of measures aimed at increasing government oversight for broader public sector organizations, and strengthening transparency and accountability.
Some of the key changes that are being proposed include:
- new public sector executive compensation legislation that would enable the Ontario government to control compensation of senior executives and establish “hard caps”, as well as enforcement measures
- greater oversight of ambulance services, including the ability to appoint investigators or supervisors and issue directives
- introducing a Patient Ombudsman to respond to complaints about hospitals, community care access centres and long-term care homes
- enhancement and increased monitoring and reporting of patient relations activities by health sector organizations
- requirements to preserve and prohibit the wilful destruction of records for institutions covered by provincial and municipal freedom of information legislation
- changes to lobbyist legislation to establish new rules for lobbyists and new powers of investigation and enforcement
Bill 8 passed second reading on November 19, 2014 and has been referred to the Standing Committee on General Government for further consideration.
Public Consultation Process – Oral and Written Submissions
Both oral and written submissions will be considered by the Committee.The Committee will be holding public hearings on Bill 8 in Toronto on Monday, November 24 and Wednesday, November 26, 2014. The deadline for written submissions is 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday, November 26, 2014.
Information about how to submit written comments or to be considered to make an oral presentation on Bill 8 can be found on the Legislative Assembly website. You may also inquire with us directly.
Miller Thomson will continue to monitor the progress of the Bill and keep you apprised of any further developments.