In today’s knowledge-based economy, intellectual property (IP) is one of the most valuable assets businesses can have. Miller Thomson understands that reality. Our IP practice helps clients protect and defend their IP rights, including their patents, know-how, inventions, trademarks, industrial designs and copyright. We know that businesses require comprehensive legal advice to realize the full potential of their IP assets and to shield against the risk of infringement.
Our lawyers, many of whom are also patent agents or trademark agents, are dedicated to advising clients on all aspects of IP, including brand and portfolio management, trademark clearance and prosecution, technology commercialization, IP litigation, and corporate IP strategies. We can also guide you through a merger and acquisition transaction in regards to IP asset transfer and related issues.
Our IP Group includes lawyers who are recognized leaders in all areas of IP law. They have diverse backgrounds; some are registered professional engineers or have with graduate degrees in science, technology or engineering. The diversity of expertise and technical background within our Group enables us to ensure that the right person is entrusted with your business matters.
Our Group can also tap into a global network of legal and IP firms to assist you with worldwide IP protection and enforcement.
- Acting for domestic and international corporations in searching, clearing, and protecting their trademarks and development brand management strategies.
- Managing extensive portfolios for Canadian and international corporations in diverse industries, including food and beverage, consumer goods, media and publishing, and sports and entertainment.
- Representing domestic and international companies in trademark disputes, including oppositions and other proceedings before the Canadian Intellectual Property Office and in litigation in courts across Canada.
- Acting for Canadian and international corporations in defining and protecting their Canadian patent portfolios.
- Advising on the licensing of patented technology.
- Advising companies and research institutions on innovation policies and strategies.
- Representing clients in patent infringement and invalidity cases involving diverse technologies.
- Litigating trademark and passing off cases, for products and services such as health supplements, food products, apparel and footwear, technology products and systems.
- Representing clients in trade secret and breach of confidence actions on software, high technology devices, and explosives manufacturing technology.
Awards & accolades
Our Group includes a number of lawyers featured as leading lawyers by various legal and industry publications including Lexpert, Best Lawyers in Canada, Who’s Who Legal, World Trademark Review 1000, and many more.