High-quality legal advice and mentoring can be critical to the success of start-up and early-stage businesses. Since its launch in 2006, Miller Thomson’s MTech® program for emerging businesses has helped hundreds of start-up entrepreneurs achieve their objectives and grow. The MTech® program gives founders, owners and managers of rapidly emerging businesses access to sophisticated legal advice and top lawyers at competitive pricing.
With the MTech® program, businesses can expect:
- Matching of early-stage clients with lawyers who work regularly with start-ups
- Prioritizing legal services to synchronize with good cash management
- Attractive and predictable billing
- A focus on an Intellectual Property (IP) strategy that creates value
- Access to templates designed for technology start-ups
- Ensuring clients are positioned as “investment ready”
In addition to the services described above, some of the more common, discreet needs of our start-up and early-stage clients are offered in packaged kits of legal services. These kits are designed to deliver cost-effective, timely and practical services on fundamental issues specific to start-ups. These kits are offered at capped fees tailored to our local offices.
MTech®-enrolled clients receive the essential services and strategic advice necessary to create a solid legal foundation for their ventures.
The services offered by our MTech® team broadly fall into three categories:
- Leading Business Expertise: Our Corporate / Commercial and Tax lawyers provide advice across all sectors on business formation, governance issues, organizational structures, operational issues, employment and independent contractor matters, registration and licensing matters, regulatory compliance, and shareholder, partnership and joint venture agreements.
- Maximizing IP Value: Our IP lawyers help clients realize the full potential of IP and strategize against the risk of competition, infringement, counterfeiting and loss of value. We advise on all aspects of patents, trade-marks, industrial design, trade secrets, IP litigation and disputes, and IP licensing agreements, open source commercialization schemes, as well as the management and securitizing of their IP.
- Social Innovation: Our Social Impact (formerly Charities and Not-for-Profit) lawyers are familiar with trends in social innovation enterprises and strategies for accommodating for-profit and not-for-profit activities by the same entrepreneurial team. We also have expertise in emerging social finance structures that facilitate capital raises from both private investors and foundations.