Troy Baril advises clients in Saskatchewan, across Canada, and internationally on all aspects of litigation related to municipal and administrative matters. He also has experience with mediation and arbitration to help his clients avoid going to court where possible. He provides advice on construction disputes, bylaws, land use, and electronic communications, among other matters.
Commercial litigation: insurance litigation, mediation and arbitration, and debt recovery.
Construction litigation and dispute resolution: builders’ liens, mediation and arbitration, contract interpretation and enforcement, and construction disputes and claims.
Administrative law: judicial review, administrative tribunal hearings, and assessment appeals.
Litigation: general civil and commercial litigation, estate litigation, debt recovery, insurance, mediation, and arbitration.
Anti-spam (CASL): interpreting legislation, auditing electronic communications, and developing internal and external electronic communication policies.
Municipal services: drafting municipal bylaws, bylaw enforcement and prosecutions, governance, land use planning and development, Development Board appeals, Saskatchewan Municipal Board appeals, assessment, and assessment appeals,
Prior to studying law, Troy obtained his Bachelor of Arts at Simon Fraser University earning the History Gold Medal in his graduating year.
While attending law school at the University of Saskatchewan, Troy held a research position with the Canadian Bar Association and worked as a teaching assistant. Troy was also President of the Law Students’ Association, served as a member of the Faculty of Law’s Curriculum Committee and participated with Pro Bono Students Canada and the CLASSIC legal clinic.
Troy is active in the local community, sitting as President of the Board of Directors for the Friends of the Broadway Theatre, a community-owned arts and cultural centre. Troy is also active in the legal community where he is involved in the Saskatchewan chapter of the Canadian Bar Association and sits on the Executive Board of the Saskatoon Bar Association.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Bruce Ogilvie Memorial Graduation Scholarship, University of Saskatchewan, 2010
- Law Foundation of Saskatchewan 25th Anniversary Scholarship, 2007
- Gold Medal and Stephen McIntyre Prize for top History Graduate, Simon Fraser University, 2007
- Richard Morgan Literary Prize, Best Canadian Aboriginal History Paper, Simon Fraser University, 2007
- Presenter, “Builders’ Lien Act Amendments” at SIMSA Mining Supply Chain Forum April 4, 2019
- October 22, 2018 – SUMA Urban Update “Cann-abis or Can’t-Abis: 6 Considerations for Municipalities under the Cannabis Act”
- Member, Friends of the Broadway Theatre, 2009-present
- President of the Board, Friends of the Broadway Theatre, 2010-2017
- Project Supervisor, Pro Bono Students’ Canada, 2010-present
- Member, Association of Canadian Assessors’ Counsel (ACAC)
- Member, Law Society of Saskatchewan
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Saskatoon Bar Association
- Member, Saskatchewan Trial Lawyers’ Association
- Member, Civil Litigation Section of the Canadian Bar Association Saskatchewan Branch
Bar admissions & education
- Saskatchewan Bar, 2011
- J.D., University of Saskatchewan, 2010
- B.A. (history, Gold Medal), Simon Fraser University, 2007