Trent Johnson is an experienced litigation lawyer focused on practical and efficient resolutions to complex business disputes. Trent assists clients in identifying sound business solutions with a results-oriented approach. Trent frequently appears before the Superior Court of Justice, the Divisional Court, and the Ontario Court of Appeal. Trent also has experience before numerous tribunals, including the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal, the Normal Farm Practices Protection Board, and the Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs Appeal Tribunal.
Trent provides sound advice and counsel in a number of areas:
Estate litigation: acting for estates, executors, and beneficiaries in cases involving will challenges, guardianship applications, dependants’ relief, and passing of accounts.
Municipal law: acting for municipalities, developers, and individuals at Local Planning Appeal Tribunal hearings dealing with planning, zoning, heritage, and environmental appeals. In addition, court applications dealing with the Municipal Conflict of Interest Act, right of ways, easements and adverse possession.
Construction law: acting for owners, general contractors, and subcontractors from contract development to dispute resolution for matters ranging from home renovations to large-scale commercial developments.
Outside the practice of law, Trent is actively involved with a number of community organizations and enjoys competing in various sports in Guelph.
Trent was recognized by the Guelph Mercury as one of the city’s “Top 40 Under 40.” This award highlights residents under the age of 40 who have excelled in their careers and demonstrated a commitment to community leadership.
Professional achievements & leadership
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Corporate and Commercial Litigation, 2021
- Benchmark Canada, Future Star: Dispute Resolution, 2020-2021
- Recognized by the Guelph Mercury as one of the city’s” Top 40 Under 40.”
- Past President, Board of Directors, Wellington County Law Association
- Past Board of Directors, Secretary, Habitat for Humanity Wellington Dufferin Guelph
- Past Board of Directors, Guelph and District Homebuilders’ Association
- Past Board of Directors, Rotary Club of Guelph Trillium
- Member, Law Society of Ontario
- Member, Ontario Bar Association
- Member, Wellington County Law Association
- Member, Guelph and Cambridge Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Ontario Agri Business Association
- Member, Rotary Club of Guelph Trillium
- Member, Guelph and District Home Builders’ Association
Bar admissions & education
- Ontario Bar, 2005
- Construction Law Certificate, Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, 2014
- LL.B., University of Windsor, 2004
- J.D. (cum laude), University of Detroit Mercy, 2004
- B.Soc.Sc. (cum laude), University of Ottawa, 2000