Teneil MacNeil is an experienced insurance lawyer whose practice includes the defence of personal injury claims, property damage claims, commercial general liability matters, and subrogated recovery matters. She also has experience with Workplace Safety and Insurance Board matters and is currently in the process of obtaining her Canadian Risk Management Program (CRM) designation. Teneil has proven herself as a capable and passionate trial lawyer during numerous appearances before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, the Ontario Small Claims Court, and various boards and tribunals.
Teneil frequently writes and speaks on legal developments in the area of insurance law and risk management.
Teneil is an active member of her community and is current a board member of the Williamsburg Community Association as well as a past board member of the Brain Injury Association of Waterloo-Wellington and the Volunteer Action Centre. She also volunteers for Family and Children’s Services of Waterloo Region and is enjoying her role as a foster parent.
- “Where a Plaintiff is Ordinarily Resident Outside of Ontario, Under What Circumstances will a Court Order Security for Costs?”, Canadian Insurance Law Reporter, September 2018
- “Cyberbullying and Parental Liability”, OMIA Presentation, May 2018
- “Dog Walkers – Beware!”, Miller Thomson Ontario Insurance Litigation Blog, 2018
- “Slip & Fall Season and Recreational Trails – Franklin et. al. v. The City of Greater Sudbury, 2016 ONSC 4739 (CanLll)”, Miller Thomson Ontario Insurance Litigation Blog, 2016
- “Insurers Beware: Costs Awards Need NOT Be Proportional to Damage Awards”, Miller Thomson Ontario Insurance Litigation Blog, 2016
- “Unidentified Automobile Coverage and Relief from Forfeiture in the Face of Non-Compliance with Reporting Requirements,” Miller Thomson Ontario Insurance Litigation Blog, January 2016.
- “Guaranteed Replacement Cost Coverage Denied When Insureds Decide to Relocate,” Miller Thomson Ontario Insurance Litigation Blog, 2014.
- “Guilty Verdicts Matter: A Reminder that Criminal and Quasi-Criminal Verdicts are Generally Conclusive in Related Civil Proceedings,” Miller Thomson Ontario Insurance Litigation Blog, 2013.
- “To Deduct, or Not to Deduct, That is the Question: A Review of the Deductibility of Collateral Benefits,” Client Presentation, 2015.
- “Commercial General Liability Policies: Coverage Gaps,” presentation with Randy Carter at the Ontario Mutual Insurance Association, 2014.
- “Waivers and Releases,” presentation with James Prior at the Insurance Institute, 2014.
- “Protecting Your Business: A Self-Help Guide,” presentation at the Cambridge Chamber of Commerce, 2013.
- “Off the Beaten Track: A Discussion Respecting Snowmobiles, ATV’s, Golf Carts, and Self-Propelled Implements of Husbandry,” presentation with Daniel Strigberger at the Ontario Mutual Insurance Association, 2013.
- “Bad Faith in Insurance Law,” presentation with James Prior at the Ontario Insurance Adjusters Association of Kitchener-Waterloo, 2012.
- “Who Let The Dogs Out: Animal Liability,” presentation at the Ontario Mutual Insurance Association, 2012.
- Secretary, Williamsburg Community Association, 2015-2016
- Board member, Brain Injury Association of Waterloo-Wellington, 2012-2013
- Board member, Volunteer Action Centre, 2007- 2009
- Volunteer (Mentor and Foster Parent), Family & Children’s Services of Waterloo Region, 2009- present
- Member, Law Society of Ontario
- Member, Waterloo Law Association
- Member, The Advocates’ Society
- Member, Canadian Defence Lawyers
- Member, Ontario Insurance Association of Kitchener-Waterloo
Bar admissions & education
- Ontario Bar, 2007
- Risk Financing, Wilfrid Laurier University, 2015
- Risk Management Principles and Practices, Wilfrid Laurier University, 2014
- Risk Assessment, University of Toronto, 2013
- Intensive Trial Advocacy Program, Osgoode Hall Law School, 2010
- LL.B., Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, 2006
- B.A., University of Waterloo, 2003