Stephanie Wanke is an experienced restructuring lawyer and commercial litigator. She regularly represents lenders, court-appointed officials and debtors in complex corporate insolvency matters, including CCAA proceedings, receiverships, proposals, bankruptcies and foreclosures. In both restructuring matters and commercial litigation, Stephanie provides practical advice coupled with strong advocacy for her clients.
Stephanie specializes in protecting the interests of her clients in the following areas:
- Insolvency and Restructuring: acting for stakeholders in all aspects of insolvency and restructuring, across a variety of industries, including oil and gas, real estate, transportation, manufacturing and hospitality.
- Commercial Litigation: shareholder disputes, builder’s liens, contractual disputes, injunctions, M&A disputes, priority disputes, fraud actions and commercial landlord / tenant matters.
Stephanie regularly appears in court and has been lead counsel in matters at every level of Court in Alberta and the Federal Court of Canada.
Prior to focusing on restructuring and commercial litigation, Stephanie practised as a corporate transaction lawyer at a national law firm. As a result, Stephanie brings a strong business understanding to her litigation practice.
Stephanie is a past Chair of the Creditor & Debtor Law (North) Section of the Canadian Bar Association and a frequent speaker on insolvency matters, including presenting seminars for the Legal Education Society of Alberta, the Canadian Bar Association, the Canadian Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Professionals and the Faculty of Law, University of Alberta.
- Counsel to the Canada North Group, CCAA proceedings.
- Counsel to the secured creditor in the receivership of R5 Energy Service Inc.
- Counsel to the receiver of Northern Bear Golf Course.
- Counsel to the successful purchaser in a contested sale in the Wapiti Waste Management Inc. receivership
Stephanie has regularly volunteered with the Civil Claims Duty Counsel project as well as the Court Amicus Program. She has volunteered for the Legal Education Society of Alberta and the Canadian Bar Association, as well as conducted a number of select pro bono matters.
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, International Women’s Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation
Bar admissions & education
- Alberta Bar, 2006
- University of Alberta, B.A., 2001
- University of Alberta, LLB, 2005