Stéphane Hébert’s practice is focused on bankruptcy, insolvency, banking litigation and financing. Stéphane advises and represents corporations, financial institutions, asset-based lenders and trustees in insolvency, reorganization and financing issues in various commercial, transactional and litigation matters.
He has extensive experience in complex restructuring and security interest enforcement matters, particularly in the context of proposals or creditors arrangement, as well as in bankruptcy and receivership issues.
He is particularly experienced in drafting and negotiating contractual agreements including credit agreements, tolerance and delay contracts, creditors agreements, corporate assets purchase and sale agreements related to insolvency or involving intellectual property rights.
Stéphane promotes a business approach based on efficiency, finding solutions and risk management.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Leader of the Bankruptcy, insolvency and restructuring practice group, Montréal office
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Banking and Finance Law, 2022
- Distinguished – Peer Rating Review, Martindale-Hubbell, 2016
- Speaker, Canadian Bar Association, Bankruptcy and Insolvency Section, Caselaw Review, 2003-2004
- The risks of syndics being ordered to pay court and extra-judicial expenses, Speaker, training session of the Canadian Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Professionals (CAIRP), November 2012
- Distribution of costs and super-priorities in insolvency matters, Speaker, Canadian Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Professionals (CAIRP) Forum, May 2013
- Tolerance, time extension and support agreements: the perspectives of the company, the enterprise and the trustee, speaker, Canadian Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Professionals (CAIRP), May 2012
- Transfer of a Business: How to Prepare for the Inevitable, Miller Thomson’s Business Law Conference, October 25, 2016
- ”Les délais dans un dossier de faillite : en conformité ou pas avec le droit civil ?”, Insolvency and Restructuring Newsletter – Quebec, September 2016
- Executive Committee, Bankruptcy and Insolvency Section, Canadian Bar Association (2000-2004) and Committee President (2003-2004)
- Board of Directors of the Théâtre de Quat’Sous (1999-2007)
- Evaluation/Approval Committee of the Canadian Youth Business Foundation (2000-2002)
- Board of Directors and President of the Ethics Committee of the Vallée du Richelieu Golf Club (2004-2009) and Secretary of the Club (2005-2009)
- Executive Committee, Bankruptcy and Insolvency Section of the Canadian Bar Association, 2000-2004, and Committee Chairman, 2003-2004
- Advocates Account Arbitration Committee
Bar admissions & education
- Quebec Bar, 1987
- Bachelor of Civil Law, B.C.L., University of Ottawa, 1985