Stefan McConnell is a trusted business lawyer who delivers practical, creative advice to help clients find solutions to complex commercial challenges. He focuses his practice on mergers & acquisitions, strategic investments, distressed transactions, private equity transactions, joint ventures and partnerships, project development, public offerings, including initial public offerings (IPOs) and corporate reorganizations. He also advises foreign companies with respect to establishing and conducting business in Canada.
- Budget Rent-A-Car of B.C. Ltd., in connection with the sale of its rental car business to Avis Budget Group, a US-based leading global provider of mobility solutions
- Mas Energy LLC, a US-based fully integrated developer, owner and operator of clean energy generation systems, in connection with its joint venture renewable energy project involving the development and construction of a landfill gas-to-renewable natural gas facility in Canada
- Fertin Pharma A/S, a Denmark-based world leader in the development and manufacturing of pharmaceutical and nutraceutical chewing gum products, in connection with its acquisition of Tab Labs Inc., North America’s largest manufacturer of private label compressed sugar-free tablets and chewing gum
- Hillenbrand Inc., a US-based global diversified industrial company, in connection with its acquisition of a Canadian company that is one of the largest worldwide manufacturers of industrial screens
- The Riverside Company, a global private equity firm, in connection with its acquisition of SureWerx Inc., a leading provider of proprietary branded professional safety products, tools and equipment
- Miracle-Ear Canada, Ltd., the wholly-owned Canadian subsidiary of Amplifon, in connection with its acquisition of an Ontario-based company operating hearing aid clinics across Canada
- Mariana Resources Ltd. in connection with its acquisition by Sandstorm Gold Ltd. for USD $175 million
- The Expert Group of Companies, a Calgary-based manufacturer and distributor of modular homes, in connection with a variety of commercial arrangements
- Rentolio.com in connection with its formation and initial capitalization
- Alliance Medical, a UK-based company, in connection with its strategic partnership with ARTMS Products, Inc.
- Burlington Capital, International in connection with the formation of a Canadian joint venture entity
- An international engineering, procurement & construction company in connection with its formation of a joint venture vehicle and strategic investment relating to the construction of a bitumen refinery on the West Coast
- An Alberta-based distribution company in connection with its acquisition by a U.S.-based private equity fund
- An Alberta-based financial services company in connection its acquisition by a U.S.-based private equity fund
- Pembina Pipeline Corporation in connection with its C$3.2 billion acquisition of Provident Energy Ltd.
- The underwriters on the C$244 million initial public offering of Argent Energy Trust
- Pure Energy Services Ltd. in connection with its US$285 million acquisition by FMC Technologies, Inc.
- Denison Mines Corp. on the sale of its U.S. mining division to Energy Fuels Corp. valued at C$83 million and related capital reorganization
- JOG Capital in connection with the formation of its two most recent private equity funds and offerings of limited partnership units by such funds with capital contributions of over C$500 million
- Lufkin Industries, Inc. in its acquisition of Alberta-based Pentagon Optimization Services
- Has frequently hosted client seminars on:
- Renewable Natural Gas: Project Considerations
- Selling a Family-Owned Business: Increasing Value, Reducing Risk and Simplifying the Process
- Member of Board of Directors of Tab Labs Inc., North America’s largest contract manufacturer of private label compressed sugarfree tablets and functional chewing gum
- Law Society of Alberta
- Law Society of British Columbia
Bar admissions & education
- Alberta Bar, 2006
- British Columbia Bar, 2006
- Evaluation of Canadian Oil and Gas Properties course by The Society of Petroleum Engineers, 2014
- LL.B. (with distinction), University of Alberta, 2005
- B.A. Economics (with distinction), University of Alberta, 2002