Shannon Houston is an immigration lawyer working with the team at Miller Thomson to ensure that her clients’ corporate immigration matters are handled effectively and efficiently.
Shannon assists clients with their Canadian business immigration needs including Labour Market Impact Assessment applications, work permit applications (such as NAFTA, intracompany transfer, and LMIA-based work permit applications), and permanent residence applications for the family and economic classes.
Prior to studying law, Shannon worked in the human resources department of an international oilfield services company in Calgary, Alberta, where she gained valuable insight into immigration needs from the client’s perspective.
Shannon articled at a boutique human resources law firm in Calgary before joining Miller Thomson in 2013. She obtained her Juris Doctor from the University of Calgary and her Bachelor of Management from the University of Lethbridge with a double major in Human Resource Management & Labour Relations and International Business.
- Speaker, “Navigating COVID-19: Your Employment Questions Answered,” Miller Thomson Labour & Employment Webinar, May 7, 2020
- Co-author, “COVID-19 Canadian travel and immigration update,” Labour & Regulatory Services, April 22, 2020
- Co-author, “A word of caution for employers: human rights in the hiring process,” Labour and Employment Communiqué, December 10, 2019
- Author, “News Flash: Express Entry Immigration Bulletin,” Labour & Regulatory Services, November 15, 2016
- Author, “To Comply or Not To Comply? The Dangers of Non-Compliance Under the New Regulations for the Temporary Foreign Worker Program and International Mobility Program,” Canadian Labour & Employment Law Blog, August 20, 2015
- Author, “Employer Obligations in Terminations of Temporary Foreign Workers,” Canadian Labour & Employment Law Blog, March 23, 2015
- Speaker, “New Developments, Categories and Challenges to the Hire and Retention of Foreign Workers,” Human Resource Institute of Alberta, Edmonton, 2015
- Co-author, “Express Entry—The New Reality for Economic Immigration to Canada,” Labour & Regulatory Services, December 4, 2014
- Co-author, “Employment and Social Development Announces Moratorium on Processing of Labour Market Opinions and Work Permits for Food Service, Retail and Other Service Industries,” 2014
- Co-author, “Alberta Court of Appeal: Employees Responsible for Employer’s Money may be Fiduciaries,” Canadian Labour & Employment Law Blog, December 10, 2013
- Co-author, “Section 91 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act: Clarification From CIC Regarding Human Resources Personnel,” Labour & Regulatory Services, October 21, 2013
- Caseworker, Student Legal Assistance (2009-2010)
- Fundraising for breast cancer research through the Rocky Mountain Soap Company Women’s Run & Walk (2012, 2013, 2016) and the Weekend to End Breast Cancer (2006, 2007)
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
Bar admissions & education
- Alberta Bar, 2013
- Juris Doctor, University of Calgary, 2012
- Bachelor of Management – Human Resource Management & Labour Relations and International Business (with distinction), University of Lethbridge, 2008