Romain Droitcourt is a lawyer in the Administrative Law Group at Miller Thomson’s Montreal office.
He advises local, national and international clients on regulatory matters in Quebec and Canada, including in the areas of environmental, aviation and municipal law. Specifically, he provides counsel on legal risk audits, risk allocation, compliance and due diligence. He regularly represents clients before provincial and federal departments, government agencies and municipalities.
Romain also acts on behalf of clients before the courts and administrative tribunals. His practice includes both public law litigation, including in environmental and expropriation law, and civil law matters.
Before studying law and management in Quebec, Romain studied law in France at the Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne, focusing on public law, international law and international commercial arbitration. He wrote his master’s thesis on international commercial arbitration, with a focus on arbitrator jurisdiction.
He completed several internships at law firms in the areas of business law and litigation and worked for a year in Brazil at the French Desk of a major Brazilian law firm. Romain also worked as a lecturer in comparative civil procedure at the Pontifícia Universidade Católica de São Paulo (Brazil), a research assistant for the Working Group on Online Gaming (Quebec) and a research assistant in information technology law. He also assisted Canadian companies in their business development in Brazil.
- ”Projet de Règlement sur la procédure d’évaluation et d’examen des impacts sur l’environnement de certains projets : changements proposés”, Miller Thomson’s communiqués, Environotes!, February 8, 2018
- ”Modernization of the Environmental Authorization Scheme Under the Environment Quality Act (Quebec)”, Miller Thomson’s communiqués, Environotes!, September 21, 2016
- ”Can a municipal noise bylaw be suspended at an interlocutory stage? A Quebec court answered affirmatively”, Miller Thomson’s communiqués, Environotes!, May 17, 2016
- ”Les accords commerciaux du Brésil en vigueur, Guide pratique des affaires au Brésil”, Sergio Amaral (former Minister of Industry and Foreign Trade and Brazilian Ambassador), Anneliese Moritz and Romain Droitcourt, France-Brazil Chamber of Commerce, 2010
- ”Le Brésil, plateforme des échanges régionaux”, Anneliese Moritz and Romain Droitcourt, Classe Export, #188, 2010
- ”Travailler au Brésil : Autorisations de travail et visa”, Agence wallonne à l’exportation et aux investissements étrangers website
- Canadian Property Tax Association
- Observer, Brazil and OHADA sub-committee of the Bar of Montreal
- Treasurer and President of the International Arbitration Committee, Université de Montréal (2012-2013)
- Vice-President, professional development of the Association of graduate students in law, Université de Montréal (2011-2012)
- Recipient of Scholarship for student involvement, Université de Montréal (2012)
- Honourable Mention at the Werner Melis Award: Best Memorandum for Respondent, Willem vs. Vis Contest (2012)
- Young Bar of Montreal
Bar admissions & education
- Québec Bar, 2015
- LL.B., Université de Montréal, 2014
- DESS in Management, HEC MontrÉal, 2012
- Master II Anglo-American business, Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne, 2009
- Master, International Law, Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne, 2008
- Bachelor of laws (public law), Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne, 2007