Reg Watson is a senior partner practising primarily before the Court of Queen’s Bench. Reg’s caseload includes the prosecution and defence of claims involving medical negligence, disability, no-fault insurance, wrongful dismissal, personal injury, and related class actions. Reg also has an active appellate practice within his practice areas.
Reg has an active health law practice, which includes regular appearances before a variety of professional regulatory tribunals. He has also conducted several civil jury trials and is adept in the use of a variety of demonstrative trial techniques. In an environment where few civil cases actually go to trial, Reg goes to trial on a regular basis.
Reg has lectured extensively throughout Saskatchewan for over 20 years on subjects related to trial practice and health law in health care facilities and in a variety of continuing legal education forums. He has been recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada in the areas of Health Care, Medical Negligence, and Personal Injury Litigation repeatedly for several years.
Reg’s training as a commercial pilot and flying instructor has proved to be invaluable and uniquely positioned him, because many health protocols now draw on concepts and procedures that have been used in the aviation industry for decades.
Health law: consent and capacity issues, mental health law and civil commitments, prosecution and defense of medical malpractice claims, advising on bylaws, and prosecution of discipline cases.
Civil litigation: a variety of injury-related tort actions, defense of intentional tort actions, and prosecution and defense of economic loss claims.
Personal injury: Section 103 claims under The Automobile Accident Insurance Act.
Reg is an active member of the Saskatchewan Trial Lawyers Association and is a member of the Queen’s Bench Bar Judicial Council.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Benchmark Canada, Litigation Star: General Commercial; Insurance, 2017-2022
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Health Care Law; Medical Negligence; Personal Injury Litigation, 2009 – 2023
- Benchmark Canada, Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys, 2015, 2016
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Litigation—Commercial Insurance, 2014-2016; Personal Injury, 2014, 2016, 2019-2020; Professional Liability, 2018, 2020
- 2012 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
- King’s Counsel (appointed Queen’s Counsel in 2002)
- Former Commercial pilot and flying instructor
- Commendation from Commanding Officer RCMP F Division (Saskatchewan)
- Reported cases in actions involving: birth trauma, brain injury, medical malpractice, fatal accidents, health law, personal injury, no fault insurance, class actions, resulting trust, specific performance actions, and disability claims.
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, American Association for Justice
- Member and Past President, Saskatchewan Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, Defence Research Institute
- Member, Regina Bar Association
Bar admissions & education
- Saskatchewan Bar, 1980
- LL.B., University of Saskatchewan, 1979
- B.Admin., University of Regina, 1976