Drawing from over 5 years of experience at the Canadian Competition Bureau and at an international business law firm, Reema Mahbubani helps companies and private equity firms strategically navigate commercial and regulatory compliance matters in her current position as an Associate in Miller Thomson’s Business Law Group.
Whether obtaining regulatory approval for transactions under Canada’s competition/antitrust and foreign investment law regimes, providing sophisticated advice on marketing and advertising law issues, including those relating to environmental marketing claims (greenwashing) and pricing practices, or advising on various aspects of sanctions law, Reema provides practical, timely, and business-focused guidance to address her clients’ needs.
Cutting across all industries including agriculture, automotive, consumer products, cosmetics, cultural, energy, entertainment, food and beverage, franchising and distribution, retail, technology, telecommunications, and video games, Reema provides a full range of commercial and regulatory compliance services.
Before joining Miller Thomson, Reema served as a Competition Law Officer (CO-02) in the Competition Bureau’s Deceptive Marketing Practices Directorate. While at the Bureau, Reema led investigations on a variety of marketing and advertising law matters, including those involving environmental marketing claims. Further, her work also included investigating and litigating pricing and promotional practices and reviewing multi-level marketing (MLM) written opinion applications.
Reema regularly writes and presents on topics relating to competition/antitrust, foreign investment, and marketing and advertising law matters.
- Speaker, “What Competition Law Issues Impact Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises?“, Canadian Bar Association, March 16, 2023
- Moderator, “Canada’s Indo-Pacific Strategy – National Security Implications”, Canadian Bar Association, December 15, 2022
- Speaker, “Closing Plenary: The Great Debates”, CBA Competition Law Fall Conference, October 21, 2022
- Moderator, “When do pricing policies cross the line?”, CBA Competition Law Young Lawyers Symposium 2022, June 9, 2022
- Speaker, “Global Environmental Marketing Claims”, Global Advertising Lawyers Alliance, March 29, 2022
- Co-author, “Drip pricing practices prohibited under Canada’s Competition Act”, October 18, 2022
- Co-author, “National security provisions of the Investment Canada Act amended to create voluntary filing option”, August 22, 2022
- Co-author, “Competition Act amendments: A move to retrofit, modernize”, The Lawyer’s Daily, August 18, 2022
- Co-author, “First round of significant and expansive amendments to the Competition Act in effect”, July 27, 2022
- Co-author, “Federal government announces new policy for investments with Russian ties”, March 10, 2022
- Co-author, “International working group launched to share intelligence on potentially anticompetitive conduct impacting global and domestic supply chains”, March 10, 2022
- Co-author, “2022 merger review thresholds”, February 17, 2022
- Co-author, “Competition Bureau updates competitor collaboration guidelines”, May 31, 2021
- Co-author, “International competition law working group formed to discuss pharmaceutical merger reviews”, April 6, 2021
- Co-author, “Federal government expands guidelines related to national security reviews”, March 30, 2021
- Co-author, “Competition Bureau to host The Competition and Growth Summit in June 2021”, March 19, 2021
- Co-author, “Competition Act and Investment Canada Act: New merger review thresholds in effect”, March 2, 2021
- Supervising Lawyer, LAW 68A/B – Ryerson Law and Business Clinic, Toronto Metropolitan University, September 2020 to present
- American Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Ontario
- Ontario Bar Association
- South Asian Bar Association
Bar admissions & education
- Ontario Bar, 2019
- LL.M., York University, Osgoode Hall Law School, 2018
- J.D., University of Windsor, Faculty of Law, 2016