Pierre Paquet is a well-recognized senior commercial litigator and the Managing Partner of Miller Thomson's Montréal office. He has acted in numerous trials and disputes having led to precedent setting decisions.
Acting on behalf of plaintiffs or defendants, he has represented numerous clients before common law courts and specialized tribunals at all levels regarding commercial matters, including requests for special orders under industrial supply contracts, guarantees under share purchase agreements, interpretation of earn in provisions in mining agreements as well as disputes regarding professional liability and insurance claims.
In addition to pleading before national and international arbitration boards, Pierre has acted in arbitrations held in Geneva under the International Chamber of Commerce rules of arbitration and represented parties in litigation under the American Arbitration Association rules.
In recent years, Pierre has successfully represented clients in a number of complex trials, such as the defence of a world leader in IT in the context of a claim pursuant to a technological implementation and the promoter of a large energy project pursuant to a claim of use of confidential technology or know how.
Pierre is perfectly bilingual. He represents his clients in both French and English in hearings and pleadings.
Pierre has extensive experience in litigation relating to directors, officers or shareholders. He has also acted in many cases involving insurance claims, as well as the professional liability of public officers, trustees, accountants, actuaries and financial advisors.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Benchmark Canada, Litigation Star: General Commercial, 2017-2019
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Corporate and Commercial Litigation, 2015-2019
- Director, Maisonneuve-Rosemont Hospital Foundation, since 1993
- Member, Executive Committee, Maisonneuve-Rosemont Hospital, since 1996
- Board member and Secretary, Club de Golf Laval-sur-le-Lac, since 2007
- Managing Partner of the Montréal office, since 2017
- Member, Miller Thomson Executive Committee, since 1991
- Chair of Miller Thomson’s Business Development Committee, since 2007
- External consultant, International investment funds managed by Salomon Brothers Asset Management (Citigroup since 2003), 1994-2007
- Chamber of Commerce of Metropolitan Montreal
Bar admissions & education
- Québec Bar, 1981
- B.C.L., McGill University, 1980