Philip Long practices mergers and acquisitions, corporate and securities law. He is a member of the firm’s Business Law Group, the Capital Markets and Mergers and Acquisitions Group and is a member of the firm’s Blockchain taskforce looking at legal matters related to blockchain technology, cryptocurrencies and smart contracts.
Philip has developed an expertise researching and advising clients on blockchain and cryptocurrency matters, including acting for issuers in initial coin offerings and advising blockchain developers on early stage financing and corporate matters.
Working with clients at all stages, from start-ups and Capital Pool Companies to large cap public companies, Philip is able to provide clients with practical advice on a wide range of strategic transactions, including asset and share acquisitions, public and private financings and corporate reorganizations. He routinely assists clients in the negotiation and drafting of commercial agreements and provides clients with day-to-day legal advice.
Philip has acted advised on initial public offerings (IPOs), reverse takeover transactions (RTOs) and worked extensively with Toronto Stock Exchange and TSX Venture Exchange listed corporations to prepare continuous disclosure documents, including management information circulars, annual information forms and press releases as well as to provide guidance on compensation plans, corporate governance and securities regulations.
Philip’s practice lends itself to a diverse array of industries, and he has worked with clients in the mining, real estate, health care and information technology sectors.
- Speaker, “2nd annual Blockchain Technology Conference”, GMP Securities, November 13, 2018
- Speaker, “Applying Laws and Regulations in the Blockchain World”, Canadian-Chinese Professional Accountants Association’s “Blockchain: Changing the World” Conference, October 21, 2018
- Guest Lecturer, “Drafting and Review of Contracts”, Ryerson University, Toronto, 2015
- The Philip Smith Foundation
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Ontario
- Ontario Bar Association
Bar admissions & education
- Ontario Bar, 2009
- LL.B., Western University, 2008
- M.B.A, Dalhousie University, 2004
- B.Comm., Dalhousie University, 2003