Peter Bergbusch practises commercial litigation, class action litigation, insurance defence, shareholder disputes, wrongful dismissal, arbitration, corporate asset recovery, and municipal law as a partner in the Saskatchewan offices of Miller Thomson. He practises primarily before the Court of Queen’s Bench.
Peter has extensive experience working with international clients that have legal disputes involving Saskatchewan and Canadian law.
Peter’s representative work includes more than 150 reported decisions in cases involving class actions, injunctions, commercial claims, no-fault insurance, shareholder disputes, and wrongful dismissals. He has appeared before every level of Saskatchewan court, the Supreme Court of Canada, the Federal Court (Trial Division) and the Federal Court of Appeal, as well as courts in other provinces.
Peter is bilingual and offers legal services in French as well as English. Peter is highly responsive and understands the importance of achieving results that support his clients’ business goals in a timely and cost-effective manner.
Details of legal practice
Administrative law: Peter appears before administrative tribunals and professional regulatory bodies and also conducts appeals and applies for judicial review of the decisions of administrative tribunals.
Commercial litigation: Peter has an extensive commercial litigation practice, acting for parties in property and contract disputes, as well as claims for negligence and misrepresentation.
Labour and employment: Peter advises clients on employment law and wrongful dismissal issues and represents employers in grievance arbitrations.
Environmental: Peter provides advice to clients regarding compliance with Saskatchewan and Canadian environmental law and represents parties in court actions involving environmental liability.
Insurance litigation: Within his insurance defence practice, Peter represents a wide range of professionals, including engineers, architects, insurance agents, appraisers, and medical practitioners in claims, or defence of claims, of professional liability and errors and omissions.
Shareholder disputes: Peter represents business owners in disputes involving business corporations, partnerships, joint ventures, and other business vehicles. This includes applications seeking relief from oppression under The Business Corporations Act.
Corporate fraud asset recovery: Peter provides assistance to creditors in preserving assets and investigating and challenging fraudulent conveyances and preferences.
Other aspects of professional life
- Président, L’Association des juristes d’expression française de la Saskatchewan (AJEFS), 2006-2010. (Member since 1998.)
- Member, Automobile Injury Appeals Commission, 2004-2009.
- Member of the Board of Governors, Saskatchewan Trial Lawyers Association, 2004-2006.
- Member of the National Resolutions Committee, Canadian Bar Association.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Chambers Canada, Litigation: General Commercial, 2020
- Benchmark Canada, Litigation Star: Administrative, Arbitration, Defamation, Insurance, 2017-2019
- Acritas Stars global survey of stand-out lawyers, 2018
- Benchmark Canada, Canada’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys, 2015
- Co-counsel in the landmark case, Duke v. Puts (2001), 204 Sask. R. 130 (QB).
- Board of Directors, Habitat for Humanity Regina Inc., 2006-2015, Board Chair, 2011-2014.
- Board of Directors, SaskEnergy Incorporated, 2006-2008, Vice-Chair, 2007-2008. Former member of the Board’s Audit and Finance Committee and former Chair of the Governance Committee.
- Member and former President, Regina Capital Cosmopolitan Club. The club raises funds through members’ volunteer activities and makes donations to the Adult Learning Centre and the Cosmopolitan Learning Centre, among others.
- Président, L’Association des juristes d’expression française de la Saskatchewan (AJEFS), 2006-2010. (Member since 1998)
- Member, Automobile Injury Appeals Commission, 2004-2009
- Member of the Board of Governors, Saskatchewan Trial Lawyers Association, 2004-2006
- Member of the National Resolutions Committee, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Saskatchewan Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, Regina Bar Association
- Member, I’Association des jurists d’expression francaise de la Saskatchewan
Bar admissions & education
- Saskatchewan Bar, 1996
- LL.B., University of Saskatchewan, 1995
- B.A. (Honours), McGill University, 1990