Perry Katz is a commercial real estate lawyer focusing on the acquisition, development, sale, leasing, and financing of commercial and industrial properties for Canadian and international clients. Some of Canada’s leading retailers and developers are among Perry’s clients, and he has developed an expertise in the acquisition, development, and leasing of retail properties and the issues associated with having multiple owners. Perry has been called to the Bar in Ontario, Quebec, New York, and Massachusetts.
Perry has been involved in high-profile transactions focusing on the acquisition, disposition, and financing of both single properties and portfolios of properties. He has also acted on a number of REITs and income funds, and has acted for owners and contractors in preparing and negotiating construction contracts for major residential and commercial projects.
Perry’s experience in various facets of commercial real estate ensures a quick and thorough understanding of his clients’ challenges, objectives, and business needs, which allows him to create innovative and tailored solutions for their specific situations.
Professional achievements & leadership
- The Best Lawyers in Canada, Commercial Leasing Law; Real Estate Law, 2016 – 2019
- Acted for large U.S. based retailer on the acquisition/leasing and development of anchor and shadow anchor locations in power centres across Canada, including the negotiation of reciprocal easement and operating agreements
- Acted for underwriter on the initial public offerings of several REITs focused on multi-residential and commercial properties
- Acted for purchaser of industrial portfolio comprising 12 industrial properties across Canada
- Negotiated joint venture with large retail developer for the development of a shopping centre on leased lands
- Acted for borrower on $275 Million credit facility secured against more than 35 properties across Canada
- Acted as independent counsel for owner of Canada’s largest industrial portfolio on the $2 Billion sale by its shareholders
- Acted for major condominium developers to negotiate terms of construction contracts for high-rise condominium projects
- Canadian Bar Association – Real Property Section
- International Council of Shopping Centres
Bar admissions & education
- New York Bar, 1996
- Ontario Bar, 1996
- Massachusetts Bar, 1993
- Québec Bar, 1993
- B.C.L./LL.B., McGill University, 1992
Miller Thomson lawyers recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada 2019
In the just released 2019 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada, 144 Miller Thomson lawyers from across the country have been recognized for their expertise in 47 areas of law. This includes 6 lawyers who were awarded “Lawyer of the Year” in...
Miller Thomson lawyers recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada 2017
126 Miller Thomson lawyers from across the country and in numerous areas of law have been recognized for their expertise in the 2017 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada. This result is up from 122 lawyers ranked last year....
Sandra Gogal speaks at The 3rd International Medical Cannabis Conference in Tel Aviv, Israel
Sandra Gogal speaks at The 3rd International Medical Cannabis Conference in Tel Aviv, Israel. Sandra will speak on the topic of “Financing and Other Opportunities in the Canadian Cannabis Market”.