Paul Brace is an experienced and creative corporate-commercial lawyer with deep expertise in the IT industry. He is often retained to assist clients with private M&A and financing transactions. Paul provides practical and cost-effective legal advice to midmarket technology and other privately owned businesses. He has been recognized by Lexpert as a leading corporate-commercial lawyer for a number of years. Paul often makes presentations to clients and industry groups on recent legal developments.
Paul provides advice and assistance with respect to:
Private company business transactions: M&A, corporate restructuring, and debt and equity financing transactions.
General corporate counsel: a full range of corporate-commercial legal advice including assistance with employee stock option/share ownership plans, shareholder agreements, software development/licensing agreements, corporate reorganizations, corporate governance, and cross-border issues such as U.S. businesses expanding into Canada or Canadian businesses expanding into the United States.
Business immigration: work permit applications, including labour market impact assessments if required, and permanent residence applications for business clients.
Paul frequently writes and speaks on issues related to corporate-commercial law and business immigration matters.
Paul practised law with a Canadian law firm in Hong Kong for seven years and is familiar with issues related to immigration to and investment in Canada by Asian clients.
Paul is an active member of his community. In 2015-16, he served as a member of the St. Anselm’s Refugee Resettlement Committee and assisted a Syrian family to relocate to Canada. Since 2017, he has served as a Board Member of the West Scarborough Neighbourhood Community Centre.
Professional achievements & leadership
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Corporate Commercial Law, 2013 – 2021
- Advised on the sale of a majority interest in a fast-growing financial services technology business to a U.S. private equity firm.
- Advised on a transfer of an auto leasing business from a partnership to a related corporation and amended financing arrangements.
- Advised on sale of a digital mapping business to a French multinational.
- Assisted a multinational operator of airport food and beverage concessions to transfer foreign personnel to Canada for full-time and part-time assignments.
- Assisted a European client with the sale of warehousing equipment and fixtures to a Canadian customer and assisted the supplier’s employees to enter Canada for installation services.
- Advised on the statutory powers and duties of an organization created under Ontario law to promote diversion of waste from landfill.
- Presenter, “Obtaining Citizenship and Residence Around the World: Part 1 of a comparative review of options in various developed countries”, 15th Annual International Estate Planning Institute Conference, New York, New York, March 2019
- “Canada’s Global Skills Strategy”, Information Technology Association of Canada (ITAC), Human Resources Forum, Webinar, March 2018
- Co-presenter, “Hosting the Away Team: How to Manage Foreign Worker Issues”, Miller Thomson’s 2017 Labour Relations & Employment Law Conference, April 6, 2017
- “Employee Stock Option/Share Ownership Plans,” Miller Thomson Client Seminar, Markham, May 2016
- “The Temporary Foreign Worker Program,” Federated Press, 2nd Employing Foreign Workers Program, Toronto, May 2014
- Moderator, “Shareholder Dynamics in the Boardroom: How Do Founders Co-exist with VC/Private Equity and Angel Investors,” Institute of Corporate Directors event, Markham, April 2013
- Chapter 17, Immigration, Business Laws of Canada, West (a Thomson Reuters business), 2019
- “Express Entry—The New Reality for Economic Immigration to Canada,” 2014
- “New Release of General Public License for Open Source Software,” Information & Technology Law, 2007
- Director, West Scarborough Neighbourhood Community Centre, 2017 – present
- Providing pro bono legal services to St. Anselm’s Refugee Resettlement Project
- Member of Executive Committee, Institute of Corporate Directors, Ontario Chapter, York Region Branch, 2012 – 2015
- Trustee, Boys and Girls Clubs of Canada Foundation, 2002 – 2013
- Director, TechConnex (formerly York Technology Association), 2005 – 2009
- Past President, Canadian Club of Hong Kong
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Ontario
Bar admissions & education
- Ontario Bar, 1978
- LL.B., Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, 1976