Natasha Smith is a partner in the Social Impact Group, with a practice dedicated to providing practical legal advice to charities and non-profits, exclusively. In an effort to ensure that these organizations achieve their missions and mandates successfully, Natasha assists these entities with a variety of matters including corporate governance and tax compliance.
Natasha has been recognized as a “Rising Star” by Lexpert Magazine and for leadership in her community, serving as a Civic Action DiverseCity Leadership Fellow and receiving recognition as an Emerging Leader (Social Impact) by The Peak Magazine.
Natasha's practice focuses on helping her clients to determine the best structure for their organization and to navigate the complex regulatory environment in which they operate. Specifically, she provides tailored advice on various issues including incorporation and charitable registration, operating in foreign jurisdictions, structuring complex gift agreements, reporting, and general compliance under legislation governing the voluntary sector. Natasha has experience structuring merger and asset-transfer transactions between non-share capital corporations, advising on social enterprise and social finance ventures, and facilitating corporate re-organizations.
Prior to commencing her law degree, Natasha received a B.A. in communications from the University of Calgary.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Charities/Not-For-Profit Law, 2021-2022
- Recognized as an Emerging Leader (Social Impact), The Peak, 2022
- Adjunct Professor, Charity and Non-Profit Law, Western University, Faculty of Law, 2022
- Rising Star, Leading Lawyers Under 40 in Canada, Lexpert Magazine, 2021
- Up the Creek without a Paddle: The Law Relating to Unincorporated Associations, Estates Trusts & Pensions Journal, December, 2020
- Major Developments In Political Activities Rules For Canadian Charities, The Exempt Organization Tax Review, January, 2019
- Lawyers on Non-Profit Boards – What You Should Think About Before You Say ‘Yes’
- New Developments Encourage Proactive Tax Planning, Your Guide to Charitable Giving & Estate Planning, November, 2015
- Charity as a Vehicle for Social Enterprise, The Social Entrepreneur, co-authored with Kate Lazier November 26, 2015
- 2014 Primer for Donors, Taxes and Wealth Management, Issue 7-5, November, 2014
- Proposed Changes to Charitable Gifts by Will, Taxes and Wealth Management, Issue 7-4, co-authored with Andrew Valentine, October, 2014
- CRA Reports on its Non-Profit Organization Risk Identification Project, Ontario Bar Association’s Charities and Not-for-Profit Law Section newsletter, May, 2014
- Member, Advisory Council, hErVOLUTION
- Chair, Ontario Bar Association Charities and Not-for-Profit Law Section Executive
- Director, Vice-Chair, and Chair, Governance and Nominations Committee, ACCESS Community Capital Fund Inc.
- Fellow, CivicAction DiverseCity Leadership Fellowship, 2020/21
- Advisor, Steering Committee and Member, Governance & Planning Committee, Black Opportunity Fund
Bar admissions & education
- Ontario Bar, 2013
- J.D., University of Windsor, 2012
- B.A. (communications), University of Calgary, 2007