Matt Trotta focuses his practice in the areas of estate and trust planning, estate and trust administration, and estate litigation, as well as tax planning, legacy planning and family advisory for high net worth families. Matt works closely with other members of his team to create tailored estate plans and solutions to address the specific needs and circumstances of each client and their family.
Matt advises his clients in estate, trust and tax matters, including:
Estate Planning: preparation of wills, enduring powers of attorney, personal directives, and inter vivos trust planning for high net worth individuals, blended families, disabled beneficiaries, Canadians with assets in foreign jurisdictions and foreign residents holding Canadian assets, as well as family advisory and intergenerational wealth transfer planning.
Trust and Estate Administration: representation on administration matters including trust administration, grants of probate, grants of administration, ancillary grants, and reseal of grant applications
Trust, Tax and Estate Litigation: representation on dispute resolution matters including capacity issues, trusteeship issues, taxpayer disputes, interpretation issues, validity of documents, executor duties, beneficiary rights, and other complex estate or trust matters.
Succession Planning: corporate re-organizations, trust planning, and estate freezes.
Before joining Miller Thomson, Matt articled and practiced at a boutique tax and business law firm in Calgary where he specialized in complex estate planning and solving related tax, corporate, and litigation issues.
Matt also gained in-house experience at one of Canada’s largest trust companies, where he was responsible for providing estate planning guidance and solutions to high net worth estate and trust clients, advisors, and planners.
Professional achievements & leadership
- In-Depth Tax Course, Parts I, II, and III, Chartered Professional Accountants, Canada, 2017
- Co-author, “Trust Residence Post-Fundy”. Canadian Tax Highlights, vol. 26 no. 2 (Canadian Tax Foundation, February 2018)
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Tax Foundation
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
Bar admissions & education
- Alberta Bar, 2013
- University of Windsor, 2012, Bachelor of Laws
- University of Detroit Mercy, 2012, Juris Doctor
- University of Calgary, 2007, Bachelor of Arts, Political Science