Mark Frederick is an insurance defence lawyer who represents a wide range of professionals including engineers, architects, lawyers, insurance agents, appraisers, financial professionals, and real estate agents. He acts for his clients in claims, or defence of claims, of professional liability and errors and omissions. He also defends manufacturers of chemicals and other goods in product liability claims and practises in the area of directors’ and officers’ liability.
Acting for clients in Canada, the United States, and England, Mark advises insurers on issues relating to excess liability. He also advises on policy construction and drafting and the interpretation of coverage. In his practice of ecclesiastical law, Mark acts for both Roman Catholic and Protestant churches, consulting on church policies, canon law construction, other church law construction, and the interpretation of membership qualifications.
Mark is a frequent lecturer to prominent trade associations across Canada and to Lloyd’s of London in the United Kingdom.
Mark also acts for clients in general litigation matters including contract disputes. He advises insurance brokerage companies on matters pertaining to the business of insurance.
Mark is a qualified arbitrator with the London, England-based Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and represents clients in both arbitrations and mediations.
Mark believes in a collaborative approach, working with clients to achieve their goals. He is highly responsive and understands the importance of achieving results that support his clients’ business goals in a timely and cost-effective manner.
Professional achievements & leadership
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Insurance Law, 2021
- Chambers Canada, Insurance: Dispute Resolution, 2018 – 2021
- Benchmark Canada, Litigation Star: Insurance, 2017-2020
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Litigation-Commercial Insurance, 2015 – 2018
- Construction Law of Canada, Lloyds, 2010
- Class Action and Directors’ and Officers’ Liability, Lloyds, 2010
- The Ins And Outs Of Evidence In Civil Institutional Liability Cases, 2008
- The Ins And Outs Of Evidence In Civil Institutional Liability Cases, Canadian Institute conference on Institutional Liability for Sexual Assault and Abuse, 2008
- Claim Prevention and Management – When is a Claim not a Claim?, Charities and Not-for-Profit Newsletter, July 2007
- Supreme Court of Canada Draws Distinctions in Abuse Cases, Charities and Not-for-Profit Newsletter, December 2005
- Winning for Losing – Old Insurance Policies Should be Treasured, Charities and Not-for-Profit Newsletter, November 2004
- Liability for Clergy Malpractice, Charities and Not-for-Profit Newsletter, April 2004
- Risk Management Primer for Charities and Not-For-Profits, Charities and Not-for-Profit Newsletter, December 2003
- Two New Supreme Court Cases Clarify Law on Abuse Liability, Charities and Not-for-Profit Newsletter, October 2003
- Co-Chair, Miller Thomson LLP, National Insurance Practice Group, 2005 – 2010
- Chairman, Inter-Citic Minerals Inc.
- Chairman, International Insurance Group
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Ontario
- Law Society of British Columbia
- Advocates’ Society
Bar admissions & education
- Ontario Bar, 1988
- British Columbia Bar, 1993
- New Brunswick Bar, 2012
- Nunavut Bar, 2017
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, 1994
- LL.B., Queens’ University, 1986
- B.A., (Double Hons.) St. Paul’s College, 1986